Google, Samsung, Others, Sued by Rockstar Consortium

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
And who wins in these ridiculous patent wars? The companies? No. The customers? No. Just those goddamn lawyers again.

Karl Mose

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
If this suit is succesful the biggest losers are the customers. Blackberry, Microsoft and Apple suing Google doesn't surprise me, but honestly I had expected better from Sony. Correct me if I'm wrong but it just seems a little leachy for them to use Google's OS on their phones and then suing them.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

to be fair, patents only exist because the govt issues them, and then willingly participates in the patent wars by providing the battle grounds. if the govt were to stay out of the market, there would be no patents to fight over.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Not to mention damage to the economy. It won't, but what if this did put Google out of business? Google is about as big as it gets when it comes to American success stories and the only one of the tech giants that is making phones and other products here in the U.S. by U.S. workers. If this were one of the big 3 automakers, there would be all sorts of negative press about how dirty it is. For those who don't know, Google is worth over 6 times what General Motors is.

Obama pardons Apple's patent offences while they continue to shill cheap Chinese made crap at outrageous margins. My next phone will be a Motorola.

kjordan_29

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Patents are not an obstacle. Companies who develop technology should get the rights to it. Why would they spend money on research otherwise? Just ignorant... Companies should not just be able to rip off technology without paying for it, which is called licensing. Look it up.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Half true. Many patents are pretty broad, especially in the technology world. In a lot of cases, patents are used only with the intent of trying to sue someone else later. They have their place in some instance where there is true innovation, but that is often not the case.

No one can claim to have the rights to things like "square LED screen" or "app icons on a homescreen."

Nilo BP

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
The whole idea of intellectual property (no pun intended) is wrong.

Why do we have property? Wouldn't it be better if everyone could have everything? Obviously it would. Unfortunately that's not quite how this world of ours works. You and I can't both use your car, for example. But this doesn't apply to ideas. The "stealing" of an idea doesn't take the idea away from the person who first had it. That's the only workable criterion.

For example, the idea of setting up a store in a neighborhood. Nobody in their right mind claims that store Y is "stealing" store X's idea of setting up shop there and thus should be made to pay for lost revenue. Or that Mrs. Smith, seller of homemade cakes, stole Mrs. Ann's idea of using hazelnuts in her recipe and should be put out of business. Because any sane person understands that enforcing this kind of thing would 1) be ridiculous and 2) lead to insanity. 1 is a matter of opinion, 2 is happening right before our eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.