Google Self Driving Cars Top 300,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@dogman_1234

If you're speaking of the computer that does the driving, then that is what manual mode is for. If it's any of the other computerized systems then the engine may stop working, the transmission may lock into it's current gear (automatic, semi-automatic, and double clutch systems), ABS and/or Traction/Stability control systems may not operate, Climate Control may not operate, etc. Modern cars are far more computerized than you realize.

Furthermore, airliners have been able to fly mostly computerized with the pilot there "just in case" for nearly a decade.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Cars have computers in them right now...if the existing one failed you'd be in trouble as well.

[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Just wait until the computer in the car fails.[/citation]

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
@beyondAllLimits

I agree about what you said, but how many morons will there be not even paing attention or asleep if the computer fails. In a plane you have quite a while before you hit something, in a car you have in less than a second.

Long story short it would still be user error with or without the computer.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The question is would I get a DWI for sitting in the back seat while my car drove me home?

if It cannot be operated without sitting in the "drivers" seat, then I don't care.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
"Naturally, we would expect these cars to be crash free or they should have been removed from traffic."

Uhm, other vehicles could hit the Google car. derp.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]Cars have computers in them right now...if the existing one failed you'd be in trouble as well.[/citation]
Yes, your engine would cut out. That could be dangerous in some situations, but it won't make your car uncontrollably crash into something.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I think self-driving cars are a lame idea.. People don't use the public transport because they are in love with their cars, they love the aspect of driving (especially Europeans, stick shift FTW).. What would be the point of getting a self-driving BMW or a Porsche? Thinking further ahead, if computer driven cars would become mainstream and proven more safe than human driving, the government would make this the only available way of travel (computer driven vehicles). Probably the only people allowed to drive non computer controlled vehicles would be the police..

Besides, I rather be in control of my life.. In an airplane you don't have a choice, you are at the mercy of the pilots (or in the case of self-driving cars -the computer), but actually driving a car you posses the control of the vehicle and of your life, there is a choice of decision.

Without a sophisticated fully developed AI that is on par of human intelligence you have to be insane to let a computer drive you.

[citation][nom]BeyondAllLimits[/nom]@dogman_1234If you're speaking of the computer that does the driving, then that is what manual mode is for. If it's any of the other computerized systems then the engine may stop working, the transmission may lock into it's current gear (automatic, semi-automatic, and double clutch systems), ABS and/or Traction/Stability control systems may not operate, Climate Control may not operate, etc. Modern cars are far more computerized than you realize.Furthermore, airliners have been able to fly mostly computerized with the pilot there "just in case" for nearly a decade.[/citation]
The issues with computerized flight is, that flying is very complex and a computer cannot make a judgement call when the shit hits the fan. No, you cannot program it to do certain things like what to do if an engine fails. humans should be the ones flying, not be 'just in case' units. That is a very dangerous thing that even the airline industry has failed to realize.

Flying is more complex than you think. If it was not, then everyone would have their own Cessna and or copter and private certificate.

I applaud Google for their innovative style and wish them the best; however, humans will always be the the most powerful computers in the world.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Yet, the Air-France that crashed into the Atlantic a few years ago leaving South America wouldn't have crashed if the two co-pilots left the plane alone. More so on the jr. pilot who was pulling UP on the controls the entire time without others knowing. Because Airbus is stupid in that the two controls (each pilot can have control) are not connected and couldn't feel his actions. Also, their flight computers takes the input from two controllers to avg. out what it assumes the pilots want.

That said, the computer didn't know the humans were messing up. This info, from the black box - found 2+ years later.

Uh oh... anyone else get the feeling that Apple will have this patented in 3 weeks?

And worse still... that means we are a few years from Judgement day, when the Terminators start their war on mankind.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]fatality1515[/nom]I think self-driving cars are a lame idea.. People don't use the public transport because they are in love with their cars, they love the aspect of driving (especially Europeans, stick shift FTW).. What would be the point of getting a self-driving BMW or a Porsche? Thinking further ahead, if computer driven cars would become mainstream and proven more safe than human driving, the government would make this the only available way of travel (computer driven vehicles). Probably the only people allowed to drive non computer controlled vehicles would be the police..Besides, I rather be in control of my life.. In an airplane you don't have a choice, you are at the mercy of the pilots (or in the case of self-driving cars -the computer), but actually driving a car you posses the control of the vehicle and of your life, there is a choice of decision.Without a sophisticated fully developed AI that is on par of human intelligence you have to be insane to let a computer drive you.[/citation]

lol airplanes are mostly on autopilot :)

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]fatality1515[/nom]I think self-driving cars are a lame idea.. People don't use the public transport because they are in love with their cars, they love the aspect of driving (especially Europeans, stick shift FTW).. What would be the point of getting a self-driving BMW or a Porsche? Thinking further ahead, if computer driven cars would become mainstream and proven more safe than human driving, the government would make this the only available way of travel (computer driven vehicles). Probably the only people allowed to drive non computer controlled vehicles would be the police..Besides, I rather be in control of my life.. In an airplane you don't have a choice, you are at the mercy of the pilots (or in the case of self-driving cars -the computer), but actually driving a car you posses the control of the vehicle and of your life, there is a choice of decision.Without a sophisticated fully developed AI that is on par of human intelligence you have to be insane to let a computer drive you.[/citation]

and the AI is as sophisticated as a human, how diff rent is it to have a human drive the car or the AI both at have same safety

Status
Not open for further replies.