Google Shooting for 4Q13, Sub-$1,500 Project Glass Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Wow, if Glass is going to be close to $1,500 then that kills any potential ownership for me. I figured it would be expensive, but damn!

aoneone

May 27, 2011
ha, biiig deal, I'm more interested in the Oculus Rift. Yeah yeah I know, Google is AR , Oculus Rift is VR.
You don't know what Oculus Rift is huh? Ohhhh nevermind~ ^_^

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I want them both, the rift for gaming and glass for everything else. What got me initially interested in glass is it's potential as a very cool HUD for motorcycle use... telemetry and navigation rolled into one display that doesn't require close focus to use means very fast minimally disruptive tracking of needed data while riding.

Junoh315

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]ha, biiig deal, I'm more interested in the Oculus Rift. Yeah yeah I know, Google is AR , Oculus Rift is VR. You don't know what Oculus Rift is huh? Ohhhh nevermind~ ^_^[/citation]

That's a sneaky way of advertising. XD

Anyways, I'd love to see something like the Google Glass used for combat overseas. Imagine being able to see what your fellow soldiers can see in the corner of your eye. Imagine being able to detect movement using Google Glass.

Maybe Google should partner up with a game company so that they can make a game that advertises the Google Glass in it.

[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Too expensive and it looks ridiculous when you wear it.The idea is cool, but I'm going to wait a generation or two before I really consider it.[/citation]
That's why it's called a PROTOTYPE....

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
This and that Pixlulz laptop are way overpriced. If you can bring a gadget in the 200-300 dollar range you have something to talk about.

Pass.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Even at $200 I wouldn't buy one. Nothing it can do to make my life any easier or add to my productivity. Of course, for those who also carry a utility belt I'm sure this would fit right in.

fkr

Splendid
this is not overpriced. a galaxy note 2 is $650 unlocked or a dual core apple laptop for $1,600. This tech is the beginning of something well beyond either of those. Since when can you get into a truly innovative product on the ground floor for less than $2,000. This is the gateway to life changinf tech. http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html
google search: Pranav Mistry: The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
for 1500, I think I can hold off on having a screen in front of my eyeball running otherwise free google softwre (maps, earth, image search, etc.) for a while longer.

Honestly, I can't see the tech inside this being worth "Less than 1500 bucks." Either they have a lot of R&D worked into that price, or they're grabbing early adopters with more cash than brain and shaking them upside down until their wallets fall out.

Of course, everything about this article is highly speculative. This isn't an official comment from google, this isn't an official price, there's no official release date etc. etc. We'll see.

chiphead

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
You've got to pay for the R&D up front. We need competition if it is going to get cheaper. Apple iSee, Galaxy Monicle, Pantec Percieve...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'll wait to see what the actual release price / specs will be before I judge this. I wonder what the need for a $1500 price would be? The actual materials behind it aren't that expensive. I'm guessing that they are doing this to ensure that only people that are really interested in it will get one. This will prevent non-techies from buying one and then being disappointed that it isn't 100% consumer ready as the entire AR field is relatively new.

$1500 seems very expensive for something that will be inherently extremely fragile - how many pairs of sunglasses (which look considerably more robust than Glass) have you broken?
I guess looking like a Universal Soldier is a big drawcard.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Umm it's a computer in your glasses. It's the future. How is it not worth $1500?? You people are paying way more for overpriced Apple products that you certainly cannot carry around like this.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Everything is always overpriced if you're broke. If you're gainfully employed, and a technology enthusiast then $1500 is kinda chump change. I built and sold a 10K Gaming rig only a few weeks ago. It was not overpriced, Just used all of the Newest Tech.

Apples Chinese dollar store tech is overpriced, but True innovation is harder to put a price tag on. That is why this is only aimed at those that have an open purse, and an interest in the adventure. -CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS