News Google Stadia Games Won't be Discounted

Well then that will just be the death of the platform.
  1. TCO will be higher by time you pay $10/month for streaming.
  2. You can no longer access game when you cancel subscription.
  3. AAA Gaming on small devices just isn't viable with the same kind of quality. (WiFi Bandwidth limits & lag)
  4. AAA Gaming on portable devices may not be viable due to missing gamepad/keyboard/mouse.
At least with XBox Live I had an option to play games locally offline. I swear executives just aren't thinking these days.

Reactions: bloodroses

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Well then that will just be the death of the platform.
  1. TCO will be higher by time you pay $10/month for streaming.
  2. You can no longer access game when you cancel subscription.
  3. AAA Gaming on small devices just isn't viable with the same kind of quality. (WiFi Bandwidth limits & lag)
  4. AAA Gaming on portable devices may not be viable due to missing gamepad/keyboard/mouse.
At least with XBox Live I had an option to play games locally offline. I swear executives just aren't thinking these days.

Wait, does this work differently than nVidia's service? If I buy a game on Steam, can't I use it on my home computer and Stadia with no extra cost? nVidia's system allows you to install your home Steam copies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Actually you can play the game even if you cancel subscription. You just don´t get 4K stream.
This is very sensible if you don´t have Gaming Computer. You essentially ”rent” rendering power that you don`t own. Very good to gamers that play on their TV, phone, or other weaker mobile device. This is not to PC master race gamers, we have good rendering power without Stadia ;)

Last edited:
Actually you can play the game even if you cancel subscription. You just don´t get 4K stream.
This is very sensible if you don´t have Gaming Computer. You essentially ”rent” rendering power that you don`t own. Very good to gamers that play on their TV, phone, or other weaker mobile device. This is not to PC master race gamers, we have good rendering power without Stadia ;)

I was under the impression Google will hold your library. How can you download a game locally for PC play if they have the code on the cloud alone? Or am I mistaken?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Wait, does this work differently than nVidia's service? If I buy a game on Steam, can't I use it on my home computer and Stadia with no extra cost? nVidia's system allows you to install your home Steam copies.

Everything I have read points to no. You have to buy a stadia game to play on stadia. Your Steam games do not get transferred over/streamed to you. So Nvidia's set up is better in that you get a steam copy for offline play and a streamable copy on their servers for device streaming.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep... that above is the deal. Still only good to those that don´t allready have good Gaming rig. If you don´t have good Gaming Computer or console, this can be a cheap way of playing games if your net is good enough.
Basically how Google is making money Are game selling income (30%?) like in Steam and the income that comes from those who want to stream 4K content.
Not sure how this is economically sensible. Those rendering GPUs and cpus that Are used to render those games cost a lot of money. Maybe google use that computing power to other usage when They Are not used in Gaming. That would make Sense! Otherwice it is a big risk!