Google Tells Feds to Obtain a Warrant to Access Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
All the government agencies should ALWAYS be required to get a warrant for any information or any US person for any reason.

There is absolutely no reason they can't take the time to show a judge reasonable cause to justify it. Even in cases of emergency that time is of the essence, they are able to get a judge to review and sign off on a warrant quite quickly. Even when it involves classified or sensitive information there are judges available for this exact thing. The procedure of getting the information and then a warrant is ridiculous and a flat out violation of the rights of the people of the US regardless of any law they attempt to create skirting the issue.

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
At least I know that Google at least cares a TINY bit about their customers. Any other company wouldn't even have to be asked to look into their user's accounts, they'd already be selling us away.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]meluvcookies[/nom]How was this already not a legal requirement for law enforcement agencies? Good for Google[/citation]

USAPatriot act
FISA
etc.

Did you really need to ask or are you really this naive? If you really are that Naive I hope you didn't vote.

eijiyuki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]88% compliance but on 22% warrants? Doesn't sound so great to me. And their cavalier attitude towards registration information? That should need a warrant as well.[/citation]

Doesn't specify what kind of information was provided. It could've been just registration info as mentioned.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]USAPatriot actFISAetc.Did you really need to ask or are you really this naive? If you really are that Naive I hope you didn't vote.[/citation]
The remark could be sarcastic, which I guess you missed. Even if it wasn't, don't be so arrogant. Not everybody is up-to-date on the goings on in America in specific. We are not in the center of the universe.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]USAPatriot actFISAetc.Did you really need to ask or are you really this naive? If you really are that Naive I hope you didn't vote.[/citation]
The remark could be sarcastic, which I guess you missed. Even if it wasn't, don't be so arrogant. Not everybody is up-to-date on the goings on in America in specific. We are not in the center of the universe.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Let the downvote riot begin because you obviouosly have no suitable retort...

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]dark_wizzie[/nom]Let the downvote riot begin because you obviouosly have no suitable retort...[/citation]

Actually I didn't downvote you, I assume you got downvoted because you posted the same thing three times. However in response, this is something that occurs in most countries not just the United States, the article specifically mentions US government agencies, a large percentage of the user's on the English versions on the site are from the US, and most people are unhappy with the way the US is running things anyway, if you're complaining without any facts you need to shutup.

And finally these aren't new by any stretch of the imagination ECPA is from the 80's, USAPatriot act 2001, and FISA has origins in the cold war.

I don't see how the remark could be sarcastic, this comes up often and shouldn't be treated lightly. These are civil liberties someone could be joking about. They should be taken seriously and should be fought for every step of the way, not just in the US but all over the world. By joking about them your essentially saying you don't care if your rights are trampled upon. In my view this is the same as joking about murder, sure it may be funny but it's a serious subject. Of course I may just be crusty as I get older.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]meluvcookies[/nom]How was this already not a legal requirement for law enforcement agencies? Good for Google[/citation]
Ask Bush and his patriot act.

Status
Not open for further replies.