Google to Offer Google Fiber Internet in Olathe, Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Can you imagine the utility lines with google? 3 bare black utility lines, and a line at the bottom with 13 ads per span.[/citation]
dohoho.

Is the Google Fiber a free or paid service? Not to sound paranoid, but the basic way google makes it's money is (as noted above) ad revenue and by selling information to ad companies. Where are the profit margins on Fiber if it's free?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]dohoho.Is the Google Fiber a free or paid service? Not to sound paranoid, but the basic way google makes it's money is (as noted above) ad revenue and by selling information to ad companies. Where are the profit margins on Fiber if it's free?[/citation]

They have both a basic free internet service and their 1gb internet service, they also offer an internet/tv combo which is pretty awesome too.

I wish this was more widespread, but, baby steps first.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Actually daswilhelm Olathe is a fairly large suburb of Kansas City with an approximate population of 130,000. I live in Olathe, and I can tell you that it isn't a small community of just 6 people. It's not the best place to live in the area but it isn't as bad as, say the Wyandotte County area has been. We'll see how this goes, as I don't have much faith in Google as an internet service provider. It probably won't ever reach me. Surewest stopped literally 3 blocks from my street. Jerks... Comcast has a stranglehold on the town and charges ludicrous pricing for their services. Internet without the speed boost is 74.99 a month through them for 18Mbps speed. Uverse is 44.99 for the same, but there are line issues in our neighborhood and we lose service for 2-3 hours a day. Which is unfeasible for me as I do remote desktop support.

i was being facetious.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Expanding already? How much of Kansas City do they have connected so far? I thought they only started. It can't be more than 10%. Are they going to skip the less affluent areas as has become the norm? Welcome to the ISP world.

TheLighterHalf

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Getting mine in Fall of this year! They haven't finished any full neighborhoods yet but they are currently working on three on the western end of the city. I live in KC but work near Olathe. Just wish they'd hook this stuff up faster, I'm so sick of Time Warner and I want my new TV and fiber service!

TheLighterHalf

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Also, they're going by number of people signed up by neighborhood. So if a neighborhood had a high percentage of people that signed up, they go first. So it's not just number of people but the percentage of people in certain areas that signed up. Neighborhoods had to have at least 10% in their area sign up to qualify at all.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]Actually daswilhelm Olathe is a fairly large suburb of Kansas City with an approximate population of 130,000. I live in Olathe, and I can tell you that it isn't a small community of just 6 people. It's not the best place to live in the area but it isn't as bad as, say the Wyandotte County area has been. We'll see how this goes, as I don't have much faith in Google as an internet service provider. It probably won't ever reach me. Surewest stopped literally 3 blocks from my street. Jerks... Comcast has a stranglehold on the town and charges ludicrous pricing for their services. Internet without the speed boost is 74.99 a month through them for 18Mbps speed. Uverse is 44.99 for the same, but there are line issues in our neighborhood and we lose service for 2-3 hours a day. Which is unfeasible for me as I do remote desktop support.[/citation]

Well here's hoping you get some of that sexy Google Fiber to your door. Maybe, EVENTUALLY, it'll force Crapcast and ATT to stop being overpriced and unreliable.

Maybe I should move that way...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Google has an unfair advantage when it comes to offering internet. They are just offering internet. This means they can dedicate completely to the internet which most ISP provide additional services that take up the majority of the signal. For instance Cable can only offer 8 of its 153 pathways to internet service. A large chunk is taken providing legacy support for direct line in set-top. Another chunk is taken offering 1000 channels no one watches, and 1 pathway is taken offering telephone. If they offered all 153 purely for internet type networking, than it would be possible to have speeds up to 4.5 GB/s. In fact it would probably be wiser to use this type of setup to offer all services using an on-demand type viewing experience so the customer does not have to fiddle with DVRs. It would also require a huge datacenter for each ISP.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

Actually Comcast and ATT have been canvassing our neighborhood lately. It appears they are frightened by Google. I signed up on their website to indicate my interest in fiber so we'll see how that goes. I know Google held a town meeting style thing to answer questions and talk about requirements for service, but I missed it due to work. Comcast is flogging their Xfinity service which offers 200Mbps service and TV, but it's even more expensive than their standard package after their promotion expires. ATT has increased speeds on their UVerse as well to 50Mbps in our area as well, but their price didn't increase. Last I heard though Google was stalled in installation due to rights of ownership for the utility poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.