Google To Remove China's Root Certificate Authority From Chrome Over Ties To Forged Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"For the users that CNNIC has already issued the certificates to, we guarantee that your lawful rights and interests will not be affected.." Yeah right...

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
That's great, so long as there is always a way for users to accept certificates Google deems insecure. What we can't have is a situation where overlord Google is the sole guarantor of web security, gatekeeper to all encrypted sites.

hellogts

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
They'll strike a deal before long.
That's great, so long as there is always a way for users to accept certificates Google deems insecure. What we can't have is a situation where overlord Google is the sole guarantor of web security, gatekeeper to all encrypted sites.
If you don't trust Google, don't use Chrome, simple.
'Don't be Evil' - Google

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
CNNIC was hacked and certificates stolen, hence Google is immediately shutting them off, to ensure the existence of "cloud" and "Internet" the way we know it :) Probably, this was related to the bank sham that IBM announced discovered yesterday...Of course, nobody wants to explain clearly.

f-14

Distinguished
2. For the users that CNNIC has already issued the certificates to, we guarantee that your lawful rights and interests will not be affected."

RIGHTS? YOU HAVE NO STINKING RIGHTS IN CHINA, YOU TAKE WHAT YOU ARE GIVEN BY CHINAGOV AND LIKE IT OR ELSE! *POOF*

shiitaki

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I have more respect for Google since they are willing to take a stand.

Microsoft will ask how high when China asks them to jump. They never have and never will promote or protect the end user. Everything about MS is how to shovel more money to stock holders.

I think there are simply too many Certificates anyway. It is a lot of work but maybe it is worth investigating the removal of 95 percent of them. I don't need any certs from mother Russia, Nigeria, or for that matter anywhere else I never go. And just to be fair, I don't need the five from the DOJ either.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Ever look at the list of trusted root certificate authorities in your browser? Scary.

a) CNNIC's second point in their statement is bullcrap.
b) Mozilla's approach is appropriately diplomatic and perfectly sound. It's a level-headed approach that stands as an example of good stewardship.

... and c) despite Mozilla's awesome approach and Google's seemingly over-the-top reaction, I don't care if China-tech sucks it and gets flushed.

eddss

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
2. For the users that CNNIC has already issued the certificates to, we guarantee that your lawful rights and interests will not be affected."

RIGHTS? YOU HAVE NO STINKING RIGHTS IN CHINA, YOU TAKE WHAT YOU ARE GIVEN BY CHINAGOV AND LIKE IT OR ELSE! *POOF*

CNNIC was a virus somehow around year 2003. Is it a virus now? I don't know, I never trust it since I was fighting with CNNIC and trying to remove it from my computer in year 2003. Finally, CNNIC won, I had to reinstall my OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.