Google Translate Boasts Near-Human Accuracy Levels With New Neural Network-Powered System

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1353997

I can see this work well on perfect sentences, but...

"duzzit wurk wiz dis kinda text too? Prolly not, huh?"

The reason why humans do better translations: they actually understand what they're reading.

PS: I just copy-pasted this entire comment into Google Translate. Either they still aren't using that fancy new GNMT tech, or their definition of "near-human accuracy" is extremely arbitrary.

Broken English aside, the English -> French translation wasn't too bad, but nowhere close to human translation quality.

How can they determine the accuracy of human translation at less than 100%? Who compares the original to the result?

Or do they translate A to B and then have another human translate back, and check against the original?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Not sure how they do it, but I would get someone who I able to fluently speak 2 languages, have them read and understand both texts, and rate how much they though was lost in the translation.

OneFai

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
It is still really bad. I just tried to translate "Coming back home around Chinese new year". It got translated into "Return home everywhere (possessive) China new year".

How's that good?

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
My wife is a professional freelance translator. She is frequently hired to edit and proofread machine translations from Google translate. I don't know what kind of scale they are using to rate the quality of their translations, but is sure looks misleading. The only time their translations are reasonable is when the source text kindergarten-level reading material.

Sarah89

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
That's too good to be true! Google translate works but works well only with a few languages. It works awfully with Dutch. Personally, I keep the connection with a translation service: https://www.translateshark.com/dutch.html It helps me with the foreign e-mails, that Google translate not clear.
I don't observe the changes in translation to Dutch now but I'll use Google if they really change the translation system.

Status
Not open for further replies.