Google Urges Android Developers to Consider Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Though I don't even think chrome is all that optimized for what it could be on a tablet. Slightly hypocritical. At least the jellybean default browser is pretty darn nice.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]clubsaucekiller[/nom]Good Android tablets currently available:[/citation]
As wrong as you are (oh, so, so wrong) your comment did still get a laugh out of me.

G

the good thing about android is that the non optimized apps scale up much better than iphone apps on iPad, I have a full HD tablet (ASUS Transformer Infinity) and Ive found plenty of games that look great on the 1920x1200 screen

there are plenty of other great tabs too
ASUS Infinity
ASUS TF300
ASUS PadFone (Phone and tablet)
Acer A700
Nexus 7
Nexus 10
Some samsung ones

and some others too

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]lemlo[/nom]Though I don't even think chrome is all that optimized for what it could be on a tablet. Slightly hypocritical. At least the jellybean default browser is pretty darn nice.[/citation]
Absolutely. It's not bad, though. Certainly one of the prettiest browsers on Android right now (firefox looks ugly by comparison).

However, simple things like being able to spoof useragents (permanently, not that stupid "request desktop site" button that works 50% of the time) are conspicuous in their absence. As is ad blocking, if I recall (and blocking ads significantly improves the tablet browsing experience). Firefox allows extensions which handle all of this very nicely, as do several other browsers.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
There's no question iPad apps are much better than Android tablet apps. Having to stretch phone apps onto a tablet is horrible and I have seen on my father-in-laws and nieces Android tablets way too many apps doing this. Sadly, when people compare products here they just look at the specs and bypass the software and overall experience. iPad still has an advantage on the overall experience with software + hardware for the majority of its customers.

Google should also be doing a better job on supporting quicker OS updates and have devices support updates for a longer time frame.

Microsoft generally has a 4-5 year support cycle.
Apple has a ~3 years support cycle.
Average Android tablet is like 10-12 months.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol....this is sad...no one wants to develop for goolge, lol....iPhone all the way[/citation]

So you are an iPhone user?
May I let you in on a little secret?
A lot of websites make changes and updates first for PC users, then Android visitors and then, if there is time and money left, for iPhone/iPad users.
Why ? Because it is notoriously difficult, especially on media rich websites, to be compatible with Fruit based products !

So if you do not mind to be at the end of the line... then keep on smiling :)

G

Well since tablets are just a fad and ultimately provide the least functionality and daily use from any of our other devices, I personally dont want dev's to focus on tablets. Focus on the smartphone, thats what I keep on me 12+ hours a day, and near me 24 hours a day. Sure I know if you design a new product you dont want it to be ignored, but face reality, tablets are useless. I know, I own 3 of them (Galaxy Tab, Ipad 1, Nexus 7).

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]loltab[/nom]Well since tablets are just a fad and ultimately provide the least functionality and daily use from any of our other devices, I personally dont want dev's to focus on tablets. Focus on the smartphone, thats what I keep on me 12+ hours a day, and near me 24 hours a day. Sure I know if you design a new product you dont want it to be ignored, but face reality, tablets are useless. I know, I own 3 of them (Galaxy Tab, Ipad 1, Nexus 7).[/citation]

More battery life. More portable. That is the niche. That niche isn't going away.
Now if only ultrabooks would come down to netbook prices, I would have my netbook niche back...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]loltab[/nom]Well since tablets are just a fad and ultimately provide the least functionality and daily use from any of our other devices, I personally dont want dev's to focus on tablets. Focus on the smartphone, thats what I keep on me 12+ hours a day, and near me 24 hours a day. Sure I know if you design a new product you dont want it to be ignored, but face reality, tablets are useless. I know, I own 3 of them (Galaxy Tab, Ipad 1, Nexus 7).[/citation]

If it took you had to own 3 tablets to realize this is something you find "useless" then perhaps we really shouldn't be listening to your judgement. I'd think someone would know before they owned one if they really had strong use cases for it. I can understand having one, trying it and realizing you don't use it. But 3?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Eric Schmidt predicted last December that in 6 months the 2:1 ratio of developers for iOS vs Android would "flip" and developers would switch to Android. His reasoning? Android has more market share and devs go where the market is.

It's almost a year and developer interest and new project starts are still more than 2:1 for iOS over Android.

[citation][nom]Someone Somewhere[/nom]Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Nexus 7, TF300, soon-to-be Nexus 10 etc.[/citation]
Man, I have this cheap crummy 7" "nextbook" thing I bought at one of those Big-Lots-type stores and I only use it as an oversized MP3 player at this point...I just haven't really felt like a tablet had a place in my daily computing routine. And getting a Galaxy Note 2, with its 5.5" screen (which I intend to do), isn't likely to leave me with much of a reason to use a dedicated tablet, either...

...but dayum, when I saw that Nexus 10, I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach, like...man, I want that. If it came with a pen and active digitizer, like the Note 10.1...

roger smith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
how about google considering active digitizers as part of their hardware set for the nexus brand. and how about developing the android os to accommodate said hardware.

halcyon

Splendid
I couldn't agree more. The only thing that really bothers me about Android is that several of my favorite apps are either not available for Android (but are for iOS); not as polished as their iOS counterparts; or mssing the tablet version. I know Android is more fragmented and hardware is a big unknown but sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS