Google Wants Cars To Come With Built-In Android-Based Entertainment Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
How about we install some better intelligence between the steering wheel and the seat first.
I was thinking along similar lines. When we finally get self-driving cars, this might be a good idea, but until then, it is another means for gaggle to intrude on privacy and deliver all kinds of gaggle advertising. Even when we do get self-driving cars, it will still be an intrusion into privacy. Gaggle survives on privacy intrusions no matter how much they are billing this as a good thing for the consumer. No thanks.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Sorry, I refuse to own a car that runs Android.... I won't even buy a car that runs Microsoft SYNC.... With as much time as MS has had to iron out issues in SYNC, and it's still highly problematic, I doubt Google will get it right any time soon.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I think not, Google. Get the hell out of my ride... And any manufacturer pushing this, they better have a damn good reason, other than having their pockets padded.

I still don't like the idea of self-driving cars at all. How can they prevent from a software failure and then next thing you know your car goes flying into a ditch? What about very wet roads with all those reflections, those could maybe confuse the camera. And lastly snow (I guess you'd have to do that). Plus that's no fun anyway, driving is fun.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
"we need PC without cables ... why are we stuck in the 1980's designs ? its not that hard to make PC cases without cables at all . everything hot swap and module adding ..."

If all motherboard had the same form factor and power requirements I would agree with you. The problem is that they don't. There are a number of popular sizes for motherboards these days (ATX, uATX, mini-ITX, etc). Also, the power requirements can be drastically different, even on the same form factor. I've got an ATX motherboard with only 1 PCIe graphics card slot, I've also got an ATX motherboard 4 PCIe graphic card slots. The 4 slot motherboard (if full populated) would require a much larger power supply the the 1 slot motherboard (watt wise). And finally, the PCIe bus only allows a max of 25 watts for a x4 or x8 PCIe slot (only 10 watts for a x1 PCIe slot). My current graphics card consumes around 120 watts at full load. Obviously, this cannot be provided by the PCIe slot. An external cable or 2 are needed to provide that extra power.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Well, Tunasoda

It appears you can't seem to wrap your head around the reasons why a Tech corporation with a track record of collecting and assessing data, doesn't benefit the driver's privacy nor the driver's well being when all is said and done.

Not to mention, with vehicles being hacked into with modern tech, the last thing you want to be, is in a car that's going some place it has no business going, doing things it has no business doing, and not allowing you to override the system because it's in operation. This isn't a video game, this real life thing we speak of. And you figure, if the average PC at home isn't safe from being invaded, how do you think your ride will handle things?

You think Android is fail safe? You'd have a better chance of finding a pair of hairy nut sacks on Rosie O'Donnell's face than Android not having been hacked. the only thing left would be to add a huge Google Ad or various pop ups on your windshield while the car is in operation.

MQ1hunter

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
There are a few negative comments about a computer running your car? Ooo wait there is a computer running your car. Unless of course you are into the classics, pre 80s...
Second thought, while security could be an issue think of a huge meshed network. Not only would your Buick, have a back up camera and sonar to warn of the on coming cars... It would be able to communicate several cars ahead and behind. Imagine that merging would be smooth transition or construction would flow better... I dont think it is as complex as made out to be. We sent people to the moon on less....

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the technology and vehicles talking to each other is a good thing. In fact I think we can make it where the vehicles talk to the citywide grid and the lights change based on the optimum time for where vehicles connected are going.
The problem is, I really don't want it to be Google. We all know their business model is data mining their user and selling personal information in order to generate revenue, then use it to tailor ads. The other thing is Androids stability for controlling several key aspects of my vehicle. If we compare purely OSs, Windows is more stable than Chrome, Windows Phone is more stable than Android, Windows Embedded OS will be more stable that AndroidAuto

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Lets face facts, humans SUCK at driving. 1,300,000 deaths per year or so due to auto accidents. 20,000,00 - 50,000,000 more people injured or disabled. $500,000,000,000 in property damages per year.

If every car was AI controlled every car would know that every other car would follow the same set of rules every time. Thus every car can predict the actions of every other car. Accidents should be near non existent compared to today. Just a small blip on your breaks in medium traffic can cause a traffic jam a mile or so behind you.Traffic jams would be near non existent with a mesh network.

Of course not all is perfect. Im SURE there wil be accidents. Things fail, its not a matter of IF its a matter of how many. I think that number will be FAR lower then the shitty human drivers of today.

As soon as a viable auto drive solution is developed, and properly tested. I think AI should be mandatory on all cars. Humans should not be allowed to drive a car manually on a public road from that point on. Tracks, private roads, sure.

I know id much rater be able to just get in a car and have it drive me somewhere, while im free to do whatever i want. Watch a movie, play on a phone, whatever, without having to worry about driving.

Sure driving can be fun. But 99.9% of the time, its just moving people from A to B. Most driving is not fun, its a boring slog in traffic, its a waste of your time. Even if it wouldnt be faster to get from A to B id stll be in favor of auto drive. But it WILL be faster if all cars care AI controlled, speed limits can go up, traffic will go down.

I do like to drive, ive NEVER gotten in an accident, never gotten a speeding ticket, never so much as a parking ticket. Im a safe driver. But its a waste of mine time driving to work in traffic.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, thing about the entertainment aspect, there's really nothing that Google brings to the table, in that regard, that can't be done in other ways. Google's hands have reached too far into the cookie jar, if you ask me.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I'd like the car to put in cameras to help with seeing around a bush or parking and other things to assist the driver like a fighter pilot head up display.

Status
Not open for further replies.