Google Wants Gmail in Search, Now Seeking Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Ummm....No? I want my email to stay in my e-mail thank you very much. Is Google just BEGGING to be hacked again? *sigh*

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I can see a future glitch where their system ends up pulling data from another person's email. Time to remove my ex wife's hate mail. Oh wait, you can all have that...

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
If they mean searching only YOUR email for data then I don't see a problem with it. The mini search could be very useful and save loads of time for people like me who keep everything organized. I have so many emails it is sometimes a chore to find what i'm looking for. If it was a public search, I could see so many issues with it.

G

Isn't this why there's already a search function in gmail itself? No need to make it global. This will not end well.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I like this. This feature makes sense if I am already logged into Google while searching. It is already linked to my email as it is. Let this come...

thrillhaus

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
There's absolutely no way they'll make it search other people's email and show the results in your searches. It's going to pull from your email and your's alone.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Never mind the fact that I do not use Gmail; the idea is not that bad but.
However, when I look at my search patterns I rarely look for the same thing on the web and in my emails. It may be of interest to a small percentage of users, but for most it seems like a waste of resources.

G

"There's absolutely no way they'll make it search other people's email and show the results in your searches. It's going to pull from your email and your's alone."

Not on purpose, that is.

I'm done with Gmail. I'm tired of Google saving and archiving everything I do online. Based on your search patterns alone, Google knows where you are on any given day, who you bank with, what kind of medical issues you're searching for, problems you have, hobbies, interests, political views, etc.

And consider the data collection center built by the NSA in Utah (http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/) and I just don't want to do business with any internet company that stores information about me. There are plenty of companies out there that make it a point not to keep records.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Never mind the fact that I do not use Gmail; the idea is not that bad but.However, when I look at my search patterns I rarely look for the same thing on the web and in my emails. It may be of interest to a small percentage of users, but for most it seems like a waste of resources.[/citation]

think chrome here.
that top bar searches google
this just makes it so it also goes for your email too in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.