Google Wifi and Synology NAS

Michael_587

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
This is a long shot, but here goes.

I just got a Google Wifi router. Modem is connected to the router. Router is connected to a 5-port gigabit ethernet switch.

Attached to the switch is a Vonage phone router and a Synology NAS.

Everything works except I can't connect to the NAS, which has a fixed IP. When I was using a Netgear router I was able to see the NAS but not now. I ran a netstat and can't see any IPs to connect to as likely candidates.

Any ideas?

Solution
The simplest way to keep a static IP address for your Synology but keep this from happening again (if you switch routers) is to create an IP reservation on the router's DHCP server. Set the DHCP range on the router to stop at say .200 then use the last 50 addresses as your static range. On the router you can probably convert a host from DHCP to static.

Once you have a "static" IP address again, just use that in your browser to access the admin of the Synology.

Michael_587

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
I had set the IP of the NAS to a static IP that came from the old router. In order remove the static IP, I had to set up the old router again, login to the admin of the NAS and change the setting to use DHCP.

Then I connected the NAS to the switch and powered on. My computer can see the NAS. Synology provides a utility called http://find.synology.com/ which had bee reliable in findind the NAS, but it comes up with nothing in this case.

kanewolf

Titan
The simplest way to keep a static IP address for your Synology but keep this from happening again (if you switch routers) is to create an IP reservation on the router's DHCP server. Set the DHCP range on the router to stop at say .200 then use the last 50 addresses as your static range. On the router you can probably convert a host from DHCP to static.

Once you have a "static" IP address again, just use that in your browser to access the admin of the Synology.

Solution

Michael_587

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
The NAS is a Synology.

Someone on another forum suggested a utility called LanScan. I used it and was able to determine the IP and connect successfully.

I don't know why a netstat couldn't show that - maybe there is some other way to do this in the commend line?