Google Working On Its Next-Generation VP10 Video Codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
This is what happens when you allow the patenting of mathematics and mostly obvious incremental improvements: money getting wasted on duplicated work mostly to derive alternative methods of achieving similar or better results to avoid patent licenses.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Royalty-free and patent unencumbered is the only way forward for any type of codec. I look forward to a future where it would be insane to suggest a codec that wasn't become any kind of industry standard.

P.S. I also agree that software patents are nonsense.Although I live in Canada, where software is explicitly not patentable so I'm not complaining.

sir_anders

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Sometimes its easy to forgot that open source and standards are never about the openness, its about power and money. That's why google will never take the same path as mozilla, nor apple, nor microsoft in HTML 5, as the standards are codec-agnostic. Even MPEG-DASH, that is a true candidate to get rid of all the browser plugins (might it be silverlight or flash) have not agreed on codecs, rather the format for how the bits and bytes are been delivered.

A number of attempts has been made to standards, everyone remembers the fight for next-gem DVDs, even how DVD+ and DVD- came to live.

If google creates a codec no one else will support it, and the other way around. we don't have a standardization body that is wrong enough to take the burdon to create the standard without the help of the companies with the money and resources, this is just how it is, and always will be.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
This is what happens when you allow the patenting of mathematics and mostly obvious incremental improvements: money getting wasted on duplicated work mostly to derive alternative methods of achieving similar or better results to avoid patent licenses.
Similar to Ford and Chevy trying to achieve the same efficiency as Toyota's hybrid synergy drive on their hybrids but with different designs, until Toyota released the patents for their 2nd gen design.
It can really hurt widespread adoption of technology.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is it true that Google's codecs use no patented techniques? I thought Google did have patents on some of the techniques and merely offered for others to use their codecs, freely.

I'm not sure you can do anything competitive, in video compression, without stepping on somebody's patent. Love it or hate it, MPEG-LA is the best solution to that problem, thus far. That said, I haven't yet read much on the patent issues affecting HVEC. Did some patent trolls try to go after them?

Status
Not open for further replies.