Google Working on Open Alternative to Apple's AirPlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Is this Miracast? If not, what's the difference? I'm a little fuzzy on the features of all these various protocols.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
For gods sake, stop reinventing an already existing and working standard and just make your devices support DLNA properly already!!

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Most samsung devices are DLNA compliant. AllShare lets me wirelessly transmit music, videos, pictures from/too my laptop/phone/table/TV.

I guess a native android app may make it more uniform across all devices.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Zak Islam was renamed to Kavin Parish?
What does this have to do with Apple???

AirPlay is a PROTOCOL SET, you zakislam you, not a service! Streaming stuff from devices to devices was available ages ago.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]icrf[/nom]Is this Miracast? If not, what's the difference? I'm a little fuzzy on the features of all these various protocols.[/citation] Yes and no. Miracast is like Airplay, fairly obvious screen mirroring. This will also support two-way comms for more advanced dual-screen uses (one possibility would be, fire up a movie on your TV, and your tablet displays a catalogue of chapters and play/pause controls, info about the movie, etc).

DLNA is not a 'push' technology. You have to 'pull' the content from the DLNA source via the device you want to watch the media on. It's not very widely supported, not well implemented and sometimes does not work very well.

[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]For gods sake, stop reinventing an already existing and working standard and just make your devices support DLNA properly already!![/citation] Idiot. While proper, widespread working DLNA implementations would be nice (instead of the piecemeal mish-mash we have today), this would not be like any existing protocol. I would prefer we pushed for new things, pushed for improvement, rather than squatting around sort-of-OK solutions, wouldn't you?? Google has the clout to make this thing catch on. That it is an open design and presumably free to use, unlike some of these other solutions (Miracast, Airplay) is a big factor in this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.