Google's Chromebook Pixel 2 Debuts On New Google Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does still come with the 3 years of 1TB google drive storage the original chrome pixel does? that's really what you're paying for since this thing is useless without cloud storage

Also while the original pixel was revolutionary for the high resolution screen in such a "light weight" laptop, this is no longer the case... I don't even see a niche market for this, you're better off with the new macbook air in pretty much all usage scenarios (not to mention a variety of other alternatives)

G

If this really has 12 hours of battery life, and a good keyboard, I'm buying. People can laugh all they want, this is the future. High-end local hardware leveraging powerful remote hardware. It's like the thin clients of the 90's. Except with 16 GB of ram and 2560 x 1700 resolution.

tylanner

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
This product is not meant to be a mass produced, mainstream product like the MB pro or any other ultrabook.

This is for enthusiasts who love/develop on the chrome OS platform and is more likely filling a slot in the lineup and not intended to make any real money for the company...

Think "proof-of-concept"

Maddux

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
"To play a game with Steam Link, you need to physically start a game on the PC, then go to where the Steam Link is and play the game. The device mirrors the PC, but it only does this after the game launches. You cannot just start the game remotely from the Steam Link."

I think that's wrong. That's not how Steam's In-Home-Streaming works right now, so why would their dedicated box work that way? I think you've got some bad information.

gorfmaster1

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Honestly, what is the point of such a beastly Chromebook, It can access the web faster? that is all it does, access the cloud for all your info. the old Chromebooks still boot up in 4 seconds. why make something that you would want to play modern games or run multiple VM's on when all you can do is access your Google account and browse the web? this is somewhat confusing to me.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Wow, look at all those ports and nothing that you can really use them for.

And people were complaining that Apple overcharges for MacBooks?

And yet, this has more power and feature (two! ports...) than the lowest-cost new MacBook (which STARTS at $1299). So sad.

Now, why you need an i7 to browse the web is anyone's guess. I wonder how many Chrome Apps they think will be pushing that CPU.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Wow, look at all those ports and nothing that you can really use them for.

And people were complaining that Apple overcharges for MacBooks?

You're right this almost makes a Macbook look like a reasonable purchase even with it's one port. Of course you COULD just take this pile of cash and buy one heck of a nice Ultrabook that has everything both of these machines do and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.