[citation][nom]daglesj[/nom]Yep I have one too and its superb.Tech guys are scared of them as it's the perfect computer for a LOT of people out there that do 95% of their computing on the web. You can still type up a word doc off line for the other 5%.Scared because the device needs next to zero support. No AV, no updates to consciously install. No OS to screw up. Its the perfect mum and dad PC.I've been showing mine around to a lot of people and so far four have bought one. Others are very interested.It's a great solution to those that are fed up dicking around with Windows/OSX and mainstream desktop Linux. Believe me, there are a lot of them out there.[/citation]
I own one as well and love it. I am quite surprised everytime someone mistakes it for a macbook air too (arm based samsung chromebook). As you said they work quite well and don't require maintenance. I find the fact they are encrypted by default a nice perk too since I use mine on the go.
This is pretty much what a netbook is suppose to be in my opinion. Small lightweight laptop, small ssd, and effecient CPU/GPU, with a stripped down OS with nothing non-essential auto-booting so it feels nice and quick to use. And this is pretty much what the Chrome OS and majority of the chromebooks do.
I just find it sad there are a lot of computer geeks who bash chromebooks without realizing it wasn't meant to be a PC replacement that does everything. Nor was it meant to really be used without an internet connection. So the 2 big gripes they have about it was never their target audience. It's designed to just simply work for the average joe and to do so quickly and effectiently. And in the background though it has a lot of interesting things going on to make sure it's a secure OS as well, it's actually an interesting read if you look into all the things they did.