Google's Donating Money for Every Tab You Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is both a marketing campaign for Google, and Chrome, and a means to have thousands of people voluntarily install a plug-in which monitors your activity so Google can analyze all the data. :)

At least they're going to donate $1 million to some charities.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]blakphoenix[/nom]Why such a low cap..?[/citation]

Still, when you have 1M you can buy lots of stuff in large quantities for a significantly lower price.

Meaning is, Google can do more with one mill than you or me could because they are a company and they have permits/credit to purchase HUGE amounts of stuff to give to charity.

Still, I agree, that cap is low and is going to be maxed in a day. I hope they extend the cap once that happens.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The one issue with it is the time frame and money amount, if the time frame was longer and maybe more money was into it, could be something to feel warm and fuzzy about longer without other weird stuff, cause i gotta redownload myself.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
1million only??? is it a joke?
and they use the users as an excuse for this?
a lot of companies donate this amount without asking their customers to participate in a game.
if they say we'll spend a maximum of 1billion, I will participate. for 1billion a company can call the public to achieve the goal.
but 1million for google... its ridiculous.

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I still doesn't understand why having multiple tabs locked into one window is better then simply opening pages in new windows. When they are in new windows I can still "flick between them" with my alt-tab and I can move them where I like on my desktop if I want to see more than one. I've tried using tabs maybe 3 times and each time I asked myself "why?"

chrisg683

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The point here isn't to be charitable. It's to snoop on your data and gain valuable marketing information.

They'll be sifting through your browsing long after they've hit the cap, that's the point

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I want to see the proof of Google actually doing it...photos, links, videos, etc.

If this really is the case, the entire world would be making this a headline.

People will believe and do anything if they think its 'generosity' like advertised...do you not think for a second this won't benefit Google in some way? Please...they will generate millions of dollars due to this stunt.

Stop blindly believing they are genuinely good and selfless for doing something like this.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
In summary, Google are donating a million dollars to charity, which is routine practice for organisations that size, and scamming a bunch of people into using Chrome in the process.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Useless. $1 million? Four days of participation?

What I read here is that... this cause doesn't need me because the limit has already been exceeded. It's not worth my changing my browser for only 4 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.