Google's Done It: Chrome Passes Firefox in Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Congratz to Chrome/Google!

Chrome is a neat quick browser. I use it w/ BF3 for RAM usage.

I'll stick with my Firefox + NoScript + Adblock Plus, however, for my browsing.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Chrome's Adblock+ is significantly behind Firefox's, especially when it comes to streaming video adds on justin/twitch.tv and the like.

In general I've swapped to Chrome more in the last couple weeks though because Firefox has started to feel slower comparatively.

I do miss Firefox's addons such as auto-pager for forum reading, and download helper for YouTube though.

nooooooooooooooooo
darned mozilla should have taken steps to solve memory problems during version 3 release. if they'd solved that earlier they could stood a better chance.
if chrome has already passed according to one analyst, it'll do the same with others by mid-2012.
get to work, mozilla!

congrats to google!
I have been using it almost a year now and find FF and IE to be so unnecessarily complicated to use. And yet Chrome has plenty of features to tweak in spite of it's simple approach.
Next up would be IE, but I have to say that IE has come a long way with v9, and may be useful again in v10, so Chrome may never quite beat them.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Yargnit[/nom]Chrome's Adblock+ is significantly behind Firefox's, especially when it comes to streaming video adds on justin/twitch.tv and the like.In general I've swapped to Chrome more in the last couple weeks though because Firefox has started to feel slower comparatively.I do miss Firefox's addons such as auto-pager for forum reading, and download helper for YouTube though.[/citation]
That speedup is really a placebo affect. They're so close together that it shouldn't make much of a difference browsing.

I like Firefox for the addons; Chrome is just nice for a lightweight browser. I have 6GB of memory anyway, so the small memory usage "issue" isn't anything to worry about for me.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Rofl, can't care less about "market share" (and stop calling it a market, browsers are free) - Firefox >>>>>>> Chrome for my purposes. The only thing I use Chrome for is its awesome remote desktop app; if somebody can suggest a similar addon for FF, PM me or write back in the comments. Chrome's UI makes me throw up.

abu46

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
after spending so much on advertising, right from tv commercials to ads on almost every webpage to even sponsoring events, it was only a matter of time before this happened

on the otherhand look at firefox, with none of the googles financial muscle it has suffered at the hands of an inferior browser :(

mind you i do use chrome as my secondary browser but atleast for me its just that "secondary"

i use waterfox (64 bit variant of FF) and its THE best browser i have used till date

rottingsheep

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
it's not surprising since google bundles their stuff with other software(flash?) and chooses to let it be an opt-out choice rather than an opt-in.

the google marketing engine is running full time. sometimes, searching using google for an item related to tech but unrelated to the web, a chrome ad link that is almost indistinguishable from usual results with a header that seems to be the most relevant result.
there was a time when i tried to look for firefox's site and a chrome ad link is shown on the top of the results.
knowledgeable people would not fall for this trick, but think of the millions who are not.

rottingsheep

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
P.S.

I am not a fan of firefox, and it has not been my main browser for more than 6 years. I am using one of the most underrated browser now.

G

Yes, a big part of the reason that Chrome usage has climbed so fast is that they advertise it on their google.com search page and they are bundling Chrome with Flash, Real Player.
Firefox should do the same.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

One core per tab? ROFL! So Chrome will be limited to 8 tabs on my rig? :lol:

FF is GPU-accelerated. Though, nVidia owners have to watch out: if FF crashes your driver (driver has stopped responding and has been successfully recovered), switch from Adaptive Power mode to Performance in nVidia control panel, and all should be fine. This hardware acceleration really helps (and can actually be kind of crucial... disabling it sometimes causes videos to stutter).

Chrome...

Yup, there really IS a sucker born every minute.

Wait about a year and we'll find out the thing is a massive spyware trojan, uploading everything to whoever takes an interest... CIA, FBI, TSA, Homeland Security [sic].

The "Google" part should be a tip-off.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
One has to wonder how much of this marketshare was delivered to google through their sneakware installers with hundreds of free applications and utilities basically tricking people into installing chrome.

I'm sorry, but there is NO excuse for a company that is (mistakenly) trusted as much as google is, to sneak their crapware onto millions of PCs by the simple effort of pre-ticking the "do you want to install our crap" tickboxes when users install one of the many free utilities that google helps fund.

I'm a PC tech and its frightening how many people haven't a clue what 'that chrome icon is' sitting on their desktop. Its the same as apple's sneak installing their rubbish Safari browser as an 'update' to iTunes (the worse app to ever hit a computer).

I'm sorry, but people not knowing what it is or how the chrome icon came to be on their desktop shouldn't be counted towards any marketshare, especially compared to FF which users have to manually search out and install themselves!

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]rocso[/nom]only reason i switched was FF was causing me hard crashes. otherwise i'd still be using it.[/citation]
That sort of thing is generally more an issue with the OS and how the user has used it rather than the browser itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.