Google's New Pixel C Tablet Is Built With Nvidia's Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
It's a 32 GB tablet with a rather strong processor, and a major screen. No way 4G fits into the price point.

That said, I'll probably pass. First, a tablet of this size becomes less portable. Second, the processor is strong for now, but the next-gen Qualcomms are expected to be more powerful and have less heat issues...the A-57 cores, IIRC, are the source of the heat problems.

alextheblue

Distinguished
It's a 32 GB tablet with a rather strong processor, and a major screen. No way 4G fits into the price point.

Wow 32 WHOLE Gigabytes? And a lightning-fast-if-you're-comparing-to-a-phone CPU! They really outdid themselves.

At this price I'd expect to see 64GB, a microSD slot, and either an X5 or X7 Cherry Trail T. The only thing the Pixel C has going for it is a decently high resolution display, but at 10" I'd rather have a decently calibrated 1080p unit if it means all the other hardware gets bumped way up.

That keyboard price is outrageous too. Who do they think they are, Apple? If they bundled the keyboard or included LTE this price would look a lot more attractive.

Ephemeral_1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
Price does seem Apple high... You do get slightly better screen resolution an 32 vs 16 GB compared to an Ipad air 2, but if the build quality, and or software real world experience are not as good then they are no value.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

That said, I'll probably pass. First, a tablet of this size becomes less portable. Second, the processor is strong for now, but the next-gen Qualcomms are expected to be more powerful and have less heat issues...the A-57 cores, IIRC, are the source of the heat problems.

I don't know about you but i had a tablet before, storage is a huge issue. Most people do not want 4G because no one wants to pay more money so most go for a WiFi model, you can't always access Wifi like when you are on the train so you have to have content stored locally.

A season of a NCIS or some show like that can be around 7GBs, if you have only a few season plus the OS, plus music, pictures, apps and games, you will run out very fast.

Micro SD card for extra storage is an absolute must, without it i would not buy any tablet.

jestersage

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
The keyboard incorporates a battery that can wirelessly charge the tablet when folded in. So you only have to charge one device. That accounts for much of the price.

I prefer a lower resolution, too. 1080p is fine. And more storage or a micro SD option.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Nobody even seems to notice that the article doesn't mention the amount of RAM the device has. It is probably 1/4 to 1/2 as much as you'd get in a similarly priced laptop, just like the rest of the components.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
256 maxwell cores is awesome. That is firmly in the "better than Xbox 360" category. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tablet that beats the Xbox 1 in 3-4 years, which could lead to tablet-console-PC multi platform games.

The price is pretty darn good too. Super high res, high power, only $599.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
The tegra x1 processes about 1 teraflop, and the xbox one processes about 1.2 teraflop. Its very close already. The PS4 processes at 1.8 teraflop or so.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The tegra x1 processes about 1 teraflop, and the xbox one processes about 1.2 teraflop. Its very close already. The PS4 processes at 1.8 teraflop or so.

Bullshat. First of all the 1.2 TF number is from estimates before the clock was finalized. Actual raw TFlops are 1.31. Anyway here's the real problem: FP16 vs FP32. I blame Nvidia for brainwashing you with their deceptive slides. Let me break it down: The slides they published showing the X1 at 1 teraflop? FP16. Half precision. The specs you see for XB1 and PS4? FP32. Single precision. Plus we don't know what clocks they tested it at vs actual clocks in the tablet under a load.

If Nvidia published an FP32 number it would be closer to 400 GFlops or so. Still impressive how far we've come with tablet form factors.

gairoller

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
1. 3 gigs of ram on Pixel C.
2. Tegra X1 is 512 Gflops at FP32 (Xbox One is 1311 Gflops).
3. The keyboard is charged by the tablet, not vice versa.
4. Its a better vfm product than apples overpriced shit.

alextheblue

Distinguished
1. 3 gigs of ram on Pixel C.
2. Tegra X1 is 512 Gflops at FP32 (Xbox One is 1311 Gflops).
3. The keyboard is charged by the tablet, not vice versa.
4. Its a better vfm product than apples overpriced shit.

FLOPs depends on clockspeeds in a shipping product. I'd bet in that tablet it doesn't break 400-450 for sustained loads.

I agree that it's probably better than an iPad Air. But at these prices a Surface 3 is a better buy than either - X7 Cherry Trail T and more storage in the base model, plus microSD.

OneFai

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Better stylus support is a must for me. In fact I am going to get an iPad pro because of the stylus. When it comes to stylus, iPad is leaps and bounds ahead. I need a tablet to annotate PDFs with handwriting and iPad is the only logical option. I tried Nexus but stylus support is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.