Google's Official Nexus 4 Smartphone Pictures Arrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. and UK on November 13, where it will sell contract-free for $299.
Since when did the UK use dollars?

Other than that, there are two things that piss me off about this:
1)No microSD slot. It's stupid, and probably wouldn't even cost $0.05 per phone.
2)1280x768 still seems to be much the same resolution (1366x768) as comes on every notebook under $800 / 17". Please give us at least HD+ on a 15" screen. It's not that hard.

I know #2 isn't about the phone as such, but it irritates me that it even counts as "HD".

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Someone Somewhere[/nom] It's not that hard.I know #2 isn't about the phone as such, but it irritates me that it even counts as "HD".[/citation]

While I agree with your point; technically 768lines is HD.
Basically everything 720p and above qualifies.
Then of course, the first 4k displays are shipping. So, we want that next :)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Is it pentile or not? Whoever came up with pentile needs some kind of beating.[/citation]
Pentile isn't bad when the resolution of the screen is high enough. 1280x768 is high enough.

This phone is okay but I don't know, I think I still prefer my Galaxy 3.

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Is it pentile or not? Whoever came up with pentile needs some kind of beating.[/citation]
Only Samsung uses Pentile, and the screen is made by LG and it is probably the best display on the smartphone market currently(same as optimus g screen), go read reviews on the optimus g screen

and samsung had a very good reason to use pentile and it was quite smart of them to do so, I wont explain why though it would take me too long

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The Nexus One was amazing, The Nexus S was a very nice evolution of the original, The Galaxy Nexus was somewhat disappointing but over all not actually a bad device, Lets hope the Nexus 4 gets them back on track.

Looking good so far but I'm still not anticipating anything looking much better to me than my S3 for a while to come.

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
We are at the point where jumps in resolution on these sizes of screens is not that significant, after 1080p is on most phones the resolution jumps really will just be irrelevant as it's already extremely close to unnoticeable when you go from 720p to 1080p on such a small screen, so any higher than that would be pointless other than for marketing saying "this phone is better" which will happen in the future

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]wannabepro - I bough my last Nexus phone from amazon and went contract free - much better and cheaper over two years.[/citation]
Virgin Mobile is contract free.
Who did you get your service through though?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]matter37[/nom]We are at the point where jumps in resolution on these sizes of screens is not that significant, after 1080p is on most phones the resolution jumps really will just be irrelevant as it's already extremely close to unnoticeable when you go from 720p to 1080p on such a small screen, so any higher than that would be pointless other than for marketing saying "this phone is better" which will happen in the future[/citation]
I think once you reach the clarity and quality of the iPhone's display higher ppi, etc. are unnecessary. However, I think even my S3 isn't quite there yet, though I have no complaints whatsoever.

carnage9270

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]These are some ugly phones. Really.Lumia/HTC with their Windows 8 Phones are BOSS(es)[/citation]

I agree about the ugly part. There's no aesthetics to these phones at all.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Virgin Mobile is contract free.Who did you get your service through though?[/citation]

It will NEVER come to virgin mobile, because in order to do that they need custom software since its a CDMA network (uses sprint). You'll have to use t-mobiles prepaid, att, straighttalk, etc.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Great phone for the price. I plan to use mine with StraightTalk. They use AT&T's network and I've been happy the last 3 months on them. An Unlimited* plan is $45 a month. Lack of LTE in the phone isn't an issue either as it isn't an option on StraightTalk. I should get faster data on the HSPA+. I would like an FM tuner, but it's doubtful that it has one. Podcasts and TuneIn will have to suffice :D
*Read the fine print. Although it is unlimited everything, they don't want people abusing the network or tethering. It fine for me. I don't use many minutes, texts, and I'm usually on Wireless.

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I think once you reach the clarity and quality of the iPhone's display higher ppi, etc. are unnecessary. However, I think even my S3 isn't quite there yet, though I have no complaints whatsoever.[/citation]
the nexus 4 screen is the same is the optimus g screen which is probably the best mobile phone screen currently on the market, and thats what i was trying to say haha, and the fact that the gs3 isnt at the iphone screen quality yet is simply the weird whites in PenTile

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]carnage9270[/nom]I agree about the ugly part. There's no aesthetics to these phones at all.[/citation]
that's all preference. i think it looks fine. best looking phone to me is iphone 5, worst is galaxy s3. however, i wouldnt touch an iphone 5, but would def carry around an s3.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]that's all preference. i think it looks fine. best looking phone to me is iphone 5, worst is galaxy s3. however, i wouldnt touch an iphone 5, but would def carry around an s3.[/citation]
I agree that the iPhone5 looks great, but don't see what's wrong with the S3. Different strokes....

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I was thinking of switching to Samsung Android phones from my iPhone4 because Apple seriously pissed me off. But when I saw the Samsung Galaxy S3 screen quality I was appalled and now I'm scared off of all Samsung products if they think that is acceptable quality. Pentile is hideous and, from what i understand, deceptive about its pixel resolution because each pixel is not a complete pixel having the three subpixel colors; some pixels are missing the blue subpixel and some are missing the red subpixel.

halcyon

Splendid
@ Indignant Hmmm...I went from an iPhone4s to Galaxy S3 and IMO the S3's screen is quite nice, though its obviously not as sharp as the iPhone's. I really really really like my S3 and am glad I made the switch.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Wow, that is the most uninspired design I've seen. WTF Google? No LTE, is ridiculous - The first Nexus was pretty amazing, this is lame...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.