Google's Project Tango Heads To The Detroit Institute Of Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
They could do something similar by putting QR Codes on the exhibits and it would be accessible to a majority of their patrons right now, without the need for expensive special equipment.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
consumers get to glimpse at the future without spending a couple of hundred bucks on a smartphone.
Actually $500.

Google really needs to partner up with some established & upcoming indy mobile game devs and subsidize development of some quality games for Tango.

If they want to drive mass adoption, then I think art museums are just a distraction. Sure, they cater to the more affluent, educated demographic that's more likely to include developers than average, but still... this just feels like playing around at the margins.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I think what you're saying is that there needs to be a killer app--or a killer application (in the physical sense of the word.) And I agree.

Although, one could make that argument that ubiquity would work just as well for pushing adoption--the idea that if you use a device like this for a whole bunch of smaller tasks, it becomes just as indispensable as if you use it for one or two big things.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Microsoft has the right idea by going after industrial applications. For the typical consumer, it's unlikely there'll be a Tango app that justifies them buying one of the (currently) two phones which support it.

The other thing Google should do is hurry up and release a Tango AR HMD, like Intel's Alloy (which might be Tango-based, for all we know).

Status
Not open for further replies.