Google's Schmidt: Give an iPhone Owner an Android Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardrock40

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
"Schmidt goes on to claim that like the people who moved from PCs to Mac and never looked back"

Yea thats why when they switch to a mac they almost always install WIndows to run from bootcamp or whatever. I f they did not have bootcamp with Windows they would soon see just how behind the times Mac OS really is. So my point is if he is sayiing this can he also answer as to why people do the bootcamp setup. They are looking back but because Apple pretty much knows they could not hold a long time Windows user to their OS for very long they let people do the bootcamp route. It shows just how insecure Apple is I guess.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Android is nowhere near as intuitive as iOS, has more features and more versatile yes, but not intuitive. IMO both Windows 8 phone OS is the most intuitive with iOS 2nd.

People do the Bootcamp setup because it's like having two computers in one. You access to both Mac apps AND Windows apps.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Android is plenty intuitive idk wtf you are talking about. I wouldn't say iOS is more intuitive more like it just has less options.

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Just look at Schmidt's face. Pardon me but I can't see why someone should trust his words. Just saying...

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I know I am in the minority but I had android for 3 years and recently went to a IPhone and couldn't be happier.

Plus lately Google has just been down right shady with there business practices as of late. At least Apple is pretty upfront about being shady.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I did exactly this. Got my entire family Moto X when it came out to replace their iPhones. They couldn't be happier. Everyone loves the "big screen" and touch free Google Now voice controls.

The PCs and Macs are out the window this Xmas when I hand out the Chromebooks.

Msouther

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I am a professional Mac technician, with approximately 400 clients. Not a single one of them uses boot camp. Maybe 2 or 3 use VMware or Parallels. When Apple first went to Intel the option of being able to run Windows was indeed a selling point. However, in practice it is very unimportant to 99% of the Mac community.

Mmm, that's what I'm going to be doing with the Nexus 5. That being said, I have to disagree with your second point - the chromebook is an incredible second device, or for someone who doesn't need more than a web browser and email. I would imagine people would get hideously frustrated using it as their only device.

As to Msouther: (by the way, the name? Microsoft outer? come on.) Your clients, then, very obviously aren't college students. Every single mac I've seen on a college campus is running bootcamp, because any technical tools beyond art production? Run on windows.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
netspiderz if that's the case then I guess both my friends who work for major corporations in there IT departments don't know Tech then. They both use Macbook Air's and one of them has a IPhone 5C for company use.

kldcoombs

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Wrong netspiderz - Some of the very smartest tech people I know - 3 of which make a living writing filter drivers for windows use macbook pros for everything but coding (Two of them code in a VMWare VM, the other uses a PC for coding). I have been in IT for 25 years and use a macbook pro and a macbook air (one with Fusion, one 100% native).

I have decided that there are no more stereotypes - I recently changed from an iPhone 5 to an Android ONLY for screen size, but the OS was less important to me than the UI Real estate.

If you want to have fun - ask someone WHY the use the device they use. I have started doing that and have found that the reasons are far more varied than I would have imagined, everything from a line of business app that is supported on only one platform to the guy at Verizon told me it was the best. The decision as to what mobile OS (or lack of decision) is all over the map!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'll take a Win8 phone over either of these two old school phones. The tired icons are UI is same ol same ol. Just my opinion, but I'll take the live tiles on Win8 any day of the week.

Chris Kurth

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
If I was unfortunate enough to own any Apple products and someone gave me an Android device for Christmas, I'd be so appreciative. That's like driving around in a clunker only to find a brand new Nissan GT-R in your driveway on Christmas day!

oxiide

Distinguished

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on iOS being more intuitive. When you expect certain functionality and find its hidden or absent, that's counter-intuitive.

Android is much more consistent with the UI and functionality of other computer operating systems like Windows, Linux or even Mac OS. Many of the standard functions we've been using for 20+ years and expect to have are absent or very obtuse in iOS; basic things like how to "quit" an app or manage background apps.

Chris Kurth

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Very well said. I've been trying to explain that to people for years.

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I actually just did the opposite and switched to iOS last week after using android for the past 4 years. I wanted a change, wanted to see what the hype was about. Coming from a galaxy s3 to a 5s. So biaism aside here it goes.

Pros:

Size - it's light...really light and, fits in the pocket well and I can now fully operate my phone one handed! Not saying there arnt smaller phones on the android side, but for my hands I need a 4 inch screen or under for comfortable one handed use, and looking at the android phones in this category none of them are on the level of the 5s spec wise. I always had to go for the bigger phones to get that top of the line hardware/ performance. It feels like a phone...and not a tablet that happens to make calls. I know in most of the bigger android devices they have the one handed operation feature which shrinks the screen down but still doesn't take away from the fact that these things are humongous.

Apps- they are more optimized, usually better designed. From what I can tell they have more support. Since they are in a closed eco system this was to be expected, but it took me a little by surprise just how well they were optimized, it's nice having a VERY smooth experience out of my apps. Haven't had any hitches, slow downs, crashes ect (yet). Android isn't bad either but just isn't this smooth, trust me when I say that. I've had a few hitches here and there with my previous androids where an app would close/freeze or act wonky.

Cons:

iOS biggest pro is also it's biggest con, this thing is CLOSED! and I'm missing my emulators free movies free music.. There's no utorrent on ios, no jailbreak for ios 7 so pretty much what they give you is what you get. Less customization less options...it is like a console and android is like a pc. You can do everything and anything on android.

Keyboard- the google keyboard (download it for your android if you haven't yet) is better than the ios keyboard. Its just more accurate.

conclusion...if one of the android manufacturers prefferably samsung or htc would make a 4 inch phone with 720p and up and a quad core processor I would switch back In a second. But as it stands I'm enjoying the smooth experience and the quality hardware stuffed in this compact package. After all I primarily need this to be a phone, I'm not looking for a tablet. I can live with doing all the other shit like watching movies, playing emus on my boss ass gaming rig.

I'm waiting for a quad core Motorola, that has a sd card slot, and a 10+ mp camera with half decent low light quality. I almost pulled the trigger on the new LG, but I want a simpler transition from Motorola to Motorola. Being with Verizon is also a limiting factor. Google should remember, that if someone actually gave an android phone to an iphone user, one big limiting factor on choice is their carrier.

Also, if someone gave me a new smartphone, I wouldn't mind if they threw in some cash for the $30 fee to swap phones, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I'm mostly kidding there, I'm not a big jerk ;)

Oh yeah, and if I had an iphone, just about everyone I know would end up buying me an incompatible phone. Most family members whip out their phones and talk about ease of use, and specs, but not about the carrier. That's just my personal experience.

G

To paraphrase Forrest Gump: “Delusional is as delusional does.”

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Actually, you would be surprised. Once you don't need iTunes you're in pretty good shape. The Chromebooks we already have get fought over. Chromebooks are fine for 99% of tasks from office work, homework, and even moderate photo editing. For students, they are absolutely perfect.

The only things I've found that we can't do on them is upload music to Google Play, burn/rip dvds (which we are doing a lot less of these days) and root/manage our phones. I'll be keeping my Linux desktop around for that stuff though.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
My wife always wanted an IPhone but I had 4 phones that my company gave to try for before it reaches the market and my experience with IPhone IOS wasn't impressive as I had with Palm Pre Web OS or the Blackberry, Storm was a good design but so slow. Samsung Android was nowhere near as the three smart phone OS at the time Web OS was out, but look how far the Android change the market.

The first smart phone my wife's and I bought were Blackberry Bold then I got Nexus Android, after that the BB died I bought my wife a HTC Windows phone but I like it so I bought one too Nokia Lumia. However my wife prefer Android due to applications so I got her Galaxy Note II. I am thinking of getting the new nexus 5 but we have too many phones already.

All I know is that each person have different preference and It's easy to reject one product because it's not what you want or what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.