Google's Schmidt: We Don't Have a Google Maps for iOS 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
On the other hand, Google Maps puts major businesses in my town in vacant lots (bean fields) 1-2 miles from where they actually are.

...Why is everyone freaking out again?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]capt_taco[/nom]So Apple forced its customers to go with their own proprietary system, and it's an inferior POS. What's new about that? Do they still not get how this works?[/citation]

Pretty soon we will all be on closed/unified platform systems. Apple system vs Google system vs Microsoft system vs Amazon system etc.

What a sucky direction the industry is headed in. (and dont even try to tell me that Google isn't just is bad - they are. They just give things away free to create their monopolies instead of doing it the traditional authoritarian way like Apple/MS)

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Anything Apple touches turns to gold. Their maps will surpass Google just like their iPhones always surpass any Android device that could possibly come out since Android is a POS, clunky, garbage copycat OS of iOS anyway. Big win for Apple to get rid of Google's maps since now they have an opportunity to get ahead of them in yet another area that Google thinks they're "experts" in. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone 5

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Anything Apple touches turns to gold. Their maps will surpass Google just like their iPhones always surpass any Android device that could possibly come out since Android is a POS, clunky, garbage copycat OS of iOS anyway. Big win for Apple to get rid of Google's maps since now they have an opportunity to get ahead of them in yet another area that Google thinks they're "experts" in. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone 5

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]Anything Apple touches turns to gold. Their maps will surpass Google just like their iPhones always surpass any Android device that could possibly come out since Android is a POS, clunky, garbage copycat OS of iOS anyway. Big win for Apple to get rid of Google's maps since now they have an opportunity to get ahead of them in yet another area that Google thinks they're "experts" in. Ha.Sent from my iPhone 5[/citation]
Quite the troll! Thanks for the laugh.

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Well, Google is not as smart as I thought. As a comparison, Gates never gave up making Mac-flavored MS Office, despite it was mostly a niche market. If Apple had really driven Google Map off iOS, it's immature, unprofessional and unwise for Google to give up the platform entirely, without realizing Google Map and Android are different products. Would iOS customers switch to Android device for a free and better Map app? I believe some would, but most will not.

vanquished

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Knew this was gonna happen. Been stuck with Bing Maps on WindowsPhone and I hate it :D I'm sure apple will figure it out eventually, just as I'm sure the majority of iPhone users will forgive them.

I'll stick with WP at the moment, I like it.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
"Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get."

Translation: Why offer a finished product when we can get our customers can do the work for us?

[citation][nom]seels[/nom]Anything Apple touches turns to gold. Their maps will surpass Google just like their iPhones always surpass any Android device that could possibly come out since Android is a POS, clunky, garbage copycat OS of iOS anyway. Big win for Apple to get rid of Google's maps since now they have an opportunity to get ahead of them in yet another area that Google thinks they're "experts" in. Ha.Sent from my iPhone 5[/citation]

im sure buying a iphone from one of apples sweatshops make you a better person. not to mention your fanboyism

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]im sure buying a iphone from one of apples sweatshops make you a better person. not to mention your fanboyism[/citation]

Because buying yours from somebody else's sweatshop is better...?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]im sure buying a iphone from one of apples sweatshops make you a better person. not to mention your fanboyism[/citation]
He's trolling, man. :D

Jobs was an amazing business man, he knew when to bring a product in house, and when it was better to use someone else's IP and resources (but brand it as their own as much as possible, like the whole Siri/Wolfram thing). And in the end he always pushed to bring all things in house, but not roll them out until they had the better solution, or at least a solution that was relatively elegant and played well with their devices.

With Jobs gone I think we are going to see more and more of these types of issues/programs cropping up. Apples' board of directors has always tended to move things towards a closed environment, but Jobs was ballsy enough to tell them when they were wrong. When Jobs was fired Apple fell apart because they closed in on themselves, cut key ties to business partners, and they forgot to look outside of their own ideals of what a computer should be to see what people wanted. When Jobs came back he moved the focus a little away from the closed ecosystem, and focused on having computers that were attractive to look at (which later evolved into removing the separate computer box entirely, and then the whole 'thinness' movement), and having a user experience that required as little interaction and input from the user as possible to make things go and work. It made for a machine that makes users like myself feel like their hands are tied when we try and use a mac, but for the general public they are excellent machines that fill most of their needs with very little fuss in an attractive package.
But now that Jobs is gone for good we are already seeing that Apple is moving in that tightly closed environment again, cutting ties with other companies that it sees as threats because of their own paranoia, when really a company like Google could be a huge ally.

That is something I have always been impressed with on the MS side of things; MS has made a tentative peace with Apple, while providing patent lease agreements to Google to the point where MS makes more money off of every Android sale than Google does. Thus the reason why they came so late to the phone party, and why it took them so long to really put any weight behind the WP platfom; why spend the effort to make your own platform when you can make more money off of the established platform than the platform makers do?

Not saying MS is a company full of saints (far from it, they are still greedy SOBs), but MS has been able to make their money while crating a stable environment for other companies to make a boat load of money, while Apple is a closed echo-chamber that either buys or crushes everything in sight. Apple makes some great and compelling products, but they tend to limit outside innovation, while MS tries to make a platform for outside innovation to function within. It is my hope that MS will bring this same type of platform philosophy to the phone market as well... but so far it does not look that promising.

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]i can tell but what if he isnt?[/citation]
He must be; either trolling, or winning the prize for the most retarded comments on this forum (and I've seen quite a few comments that would be a runner-up).
As I still have some faith in mankind, hence I do not believe someone would voluntarily make great strides at proving their limited intellectual capacity, I have to choose the option that he's trolling.

On point: I like Google's attitude in this matter - arms crossed, watching as Apple is burning it's bridges.
Kinda like the troll above.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
iHaters on here never cease to make me laugh. Google maps is obviously superior since it has been refined over many years. Sure Apple's Map will get better but it is surprising that Apple pushed it out in its current condition. I hope this is not what we can expect from Apple in the future which typically is quality first.

I am still surprised iHaters dont thank Apple for giving them Android which is a knockoff. No way you can dispute this fact.

[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]I am still surprised iHaters dont thank Apple for giving them Android which is a knockoff. No way you can dispute this fact.[/citation]
Yeah, it's not like Android development started in 2003, more than three years before iOS was revealed.

Oh wait, that's exactly what it's like. Troll.

G

I'm with ojas, I also don't have a phone

(Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2½)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]But now that Jobs is gone for good we are already seeing that Apple is moving in that tightly closed environment again, cutting ties with other companies that it sees as threats because of their own paranoia, when really a company like Google could be a huge ally[/citation]
I wonder if it the other way round, Samsung essentially didn't renew it's contract for certain parts for the iPhone and Apple tried to spin it that they dropped Samsung, so could this be the same thing? Schmidt has always struck me as a bit of an oily liar and his statement has me reading between the lines, they knew iOS6 was on the way and they just didn't even make a Maps App? Not even submit one for Apple to then reject? Sound more and more like Apple have been cut off again and been forced to do a botch job and rush out an unfinished product. Apple have spent the last few years lording over the rest of the industry. Well now the worm has turned and the this is the point where the premium hardware and content providers tell Apple to get bent privately but keep good relations in public. Google already has lots of money coming in from Android domination, Samsung has a healthy outlook too, eventually the company will collapse again unless it grows some humility and starts to play nicely with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.