Gooseberry Launches Android-based Raspberry Pi Rival

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Will somebody put it in a nice neat box and install Linux with Open Office and then sell it? I am bored with this 80's hardware 'news' that looks like from garage sale. Surely nice neat Solidworks engineered and moulded case can be made for below £5..

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Since I got my Nexus 7 Rooted and working with my PS3 controller and all the emulators, I want to get one of these android boxes with micro-HDMI and hook it into my TV as a classic game console. The price is good, also waiting for that rumored console to come out.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
It's amazing to see so many of these sorts of devices being launched. £40 for something like this isn't a bad deal at all if you really wanted to have a tiny machine able to run Linux and at a fraction of the power consumption of a standard PC. Still, the lack of analogue video is a bit of a concern, but so many people are sporting HDMI-equipped TVs, for example, meaning you can just hook it up to that. It's much larger than the Pi, but that's hardly surprising given the improved specs, plus the Pi was so small to begin with that you couldn't possibly complain about the Gooseberry.

The source link has a few more images that you can see in much better detail. I think the only disadvantage I can see thus far is the use of a mini-USB port instead of micro-USB. Please note that the A10 is a single-core CPU.

There seems to be a few actual complete devices out there using similar specs. Check this out:

http://www.lyxfsz.com/cn/products_view.htm?id=24

The A10 CPU itself:

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/

I'm gonna buy one too. lol.

I'm not thrilled with the picture used in the article - no sense of scale and when I tried to zoom, it was the same size picture.
I still haven't figured out a good reason I should purchase a tablet let alone a micro pc.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Then go to the actual Gooseberry website via the source link at the top, click on the image you wish to view, then when the page for that image appears, click the image again for a larger version.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]C12Friedman[/nom]I'm gonna buy one too. lol.I'm not thrilled with the picture used in the article - no sense of scale and when I tried to zoom, it was the same size picture. I still haven't figured out a good reason I should purchase a tablet let alone a micro pc.[/citation]
It's cool. That's about the only reason. The nice thing about the Raspberry Pi is that it's so cheap that why wouldn't you buy one.

G

[citation][nom]Cantisque[/nom]This looks suspiciously similar to those chipsets you see in all those tacky cheap Android tablets.[/citation]

I checked out their website, basically it is one of those chipsets you find in tacky, cheap android tablets. It also doesn't have GPIO, which is a major selling point for the Raspberry.

For another £10 you can buy one of these things built into a usable tablet, complete with case, power supply and 7" resistive touch LCD screen off ebay.

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thought so. I'm going to hold off for either an updated Pi or see if someone comes up with an x86 board of similar size over the next few years.

[citation][nom]Cantisque[/nom]Thought so. I'm going to hold off for either an updated Pi or see if someone comes up with an x86 board of similar size over the next few years.[/citation]

Medfield. Maybe there will be such a small x86 board with Medfield. I'm not convinced that it will be done, but I suppose that it could be done and that it could make sense. Something like that could probably have enough performance to run even a full Windows XP installation if it has driver support.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Whats with all the berry names? Haven't they realized that blackberry failed? The leaders today is a bigger fruit. They should copy Apple instead and call it a grapefruit or maybe orange ... tangerine?

[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Whats with all the berry names? Haven't they realized that blackberry failed? The leaders today is a bigger fruit. They should copy Apple instead and call it a grapefruit or maybe orange ... tangerine?[/citation]

Didn't Android recently pass iPhones as the majority in the smart phone market? Besides, Blackberry is still around and regardless, this has nothing to do with them.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Blackberry failed? How many Blackberry handsets have been sold?

It may not be fashionable anymore, but at one point it certainly was, especially with the younger adults over here in the UK.

[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]Next up is Halleberry[/citation]
I'd be going for that one.... but the maintenance costs are going to be real high.... plus I see no connectivity issue with this one.

I don't really view this as a "competitor" to the Raspberry Pi, since the foundation behind the Pi is a non-profit making $0 from sale of the Pi boards. The idea was to spread interest in programming to younger individuals through the sale of extremely cheap platforms (which is a fantastic idea).

"Another option" would be more appropriate than "competitor".

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Will somebody put it in a nice neat box and install Linux with Open Office and then sell it? I am bored with this 80's hardware 'news' that looks like from garage sale. Surely nice neat Solidworks engineered and moulded case can be made for below £5..[/citation]
The idea of it having no case, no SD and no software is to make it as cheap and flexible as possible rather than trying to do the usual one-size-fits-all approach. I didn't want a case as it was being embedded into a space so having the case would have meant extra cost and time for me. Want a case? www.modmypi.com lets you choose separate colours for each part. Not something you could do with an included case. As for software, I played a little with XBMC and then replaced it with a command line Linux. Again another example where a UI Linux and pre-selected software would have been useless.

Interesting. Already ordered a Raspberry Pi, although there's about a 3 month wait on it. Still, I've got 2 main purposes for it. The first is simple, an HTPC. This will be done simply as a test/learning experience. Then I intend to go all out and build a CarPC (CarPi) with touch screen, Media, OBDII interface, and GPS. If I find out it's not powerful enough, it's nice to see a viable upgrade option and just use the Pi as an HTPC, although one of it's main points is very low power consumption.

sbq

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Recently a bunch of very small computers that look like a memory stick have been announced. They run Android ICS and have HDMI connectors so you can plug them right into your HD TV. See:
http://www.sbqsam.com/smallComputers.html.

Status
Not open for further replies.