[SOLVED] Gopro and needing to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrarr

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
I got a Gopro 4 recently and have come to find out my the PC I built years can't handle video editing. Go figure! So because I'd like to actually use the Gopro I'll need to upgrade in the coming months. I'm a beginner with with video so I don't need to do anything complex but I do want to edit in HD, 1080.... just some simple editing and be able to upload it to youtube and such. I'd like to move to a Mac platform. Reason being is it's just simple. I work with PC's and deal with issues all day so I just want to have something that simply, works. Everything else is just basic computing and entertainment stuff. No gaming.

What do you think work well for this? I was looking at some of the older Mac Pro Towers and they aren't very expensive on Craigslist these days. The specs don't look great but every time I think a Mac shouldn't do something as well as a PC spec wise, I'm wrong and it can. So I don't know. I kind of give up there. It can a notebook, I don't go mobile often but just putting it out there. I can see where it would be nice.

Thanks everyone!

Solution
A lot of the Mac computers that they sell today would fit your needs. In my opinion, here are your options. I'm disregarding your budget just to show you everything with their upsides and downsides.

Short answer: Mac Mini is, in my opinion, the best way to go for your needs.

Mac Pro: This is the higher end of what you want. Based on your needs, I personally think this is overkill. It's also one of the most expensive macs out there (if not the most expensive) (all depends on which processor you buy it with). If you want a computer that's capable of a lot more stuff than what you are describing, get this computer. Also, while it may be a bit overkill for video editing, it should run completely smooth and crystal clear while editing...

Ramjet151

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
What would your budget be for a computer? If you also wont do anything else besides editing and surfing the web, you can get one fairly inexpensively. Under a $1000 I would say. It also depends on if you prefer one operating system over another or if you want the computer prebuilt or build it yourself (it is like legos building one, very easy).

ultrarr

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Oh, sorry. Didn't realize it was difficult to read. Let's try a different format.

Want: to upgrade
Reason: bought a gopro
Need: to edit basic HD, 1080 video. Upload to youtube.
Platform: would prefer it to be Mac OS
Budget: $1000 or less.
Format: desktop or notebook

Question: What product would perform to best given budget and above desires.

MrSentry

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
A lot of the Mac computers that they sell today would fit your needs. In my opinion, here are your options. I'm disregarding your budget just to show you everything with their upsides and downsides.

Short answer: Mac Mini is, in my opinion, the best way to go for your needs.

Mac Pro: This is the higher end of what you want. Based on your needs, I personally think this is overkill. It's also one of the most expensive macs out there (if not the most expensive) (all depends on which processor you buy it with). If you want a computer that's capable of a lot more stuff than what you are describing, get this computer. Also, while it may be a bit overkill for video editing, it should run completely smooth and crystal clear while editing because of how much of a beast it is with heavy processing situations like that.

iMac: Still over your budget, but we're getting closer (especially if you just get the base model with the smallest screen). While not as monstrous as the mac pro, it still can easily get your job done. And while we're on the subject of cost, it has a screen built right into it, so hey, now you don't have to buy one. This is another system that would do very well in the applications that you will be using it for. Although it will not be able to handle as much as a Mac Pro, you really shouldn't notice it unless you use a lot of really, really processor-intensive applications. Video editing (especially in HD) requires a good processor, but again, an iMac should handle it fine.

Mac Mini: I never really thought much about these little things until I used one for the first time a while back. It completely amazed me. While small, these things are very capable of doing most processes without breaking a sweat. And it's perfect for your budget. The iMac that I was talking about above retails for $1,099 for the base model (21.5 inch, 1.4 GHz). The Mac Mini does not have a screen built into it, but that majorly reduces the price. The base model Mac Mini (1.4 GHz) retails for $500. Amazing difference, right? For your needs, I would recommend buying a Mac Mini. But it's not over yet. There are 3 different models, and which one you buy all depends on how much money you want to spend. While the 1.4 GHz model will most likely get the job done, you can beef it up by spending either $700 on a 2.6 GHz model, or $1,000 on a 2.8 GHz model. If you are interested in the Mac Mini, I would definitely recommend doing further research on which model is the best for you.

Macbook Pro: Since this one would probably get the job done, I had to include it. First of all, they sell the retina models, which are faster, but you are mainly paying for the screen there with the price increase, so I'd guess you wouldn't be interested. The older model Macbook Pro's are still pretty good and will get your job done, but they aren't worth the money after looking at the Mac Mini. A 13 inch, 2.5 GHz Pro in the older model currently retails for $1,099. The thing to think about there is, it still costs more than the 2.8 GHz Mac Mini.

Just a quick note: I did not include the Retina iMac (because you are paying for the screen, once again), the Macbook (because it may be just a little slow with video editing), and the Macbook Air (because it will definitely be slow with video editing, trust me, I own one).

I hope this helped you decide on what computer you would like, and if not, I wish you luck while searching!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS