Gorilla Glass 2 to Debut at CES: The Tough Gets Stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Gorilla Glass never meant to be shatterproof as seen in YouTube videos. I wonder just how tougher can they make it for it to be really scratchproof? Somebody will always find a way to prove them wrong.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^ But we will always have the idiot which sues because it didn't survive a nuke claiming that it's unfit.

Or the idiot who sues because it isn't made of gorillas.

Or the idiot who says that gorilla glass is animal cruelty.

Take your pick.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Galaxy S with Gorilla glass for over a year myself and I beat it like it owed me money and nothing... I Love Gorilla Glass and just picked up a new Samsung Galaxy S II with it. I'm not putting a case or screen protector on it either. With Gorilla Glass, I don't need to.

Yes, if you take a hammer to it or run it over with a car it might break; but I dropped my original Galaxy S a million times on asphalt and had it thrown into concrete walls by angry (X) girlfriends and of course the sides of the phone took some scratches, but the screen was still impeccable.

friikazoid

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Well my Atrix dropped from waist high (trying to pull it out of a pocket) onto my tile kitchen floor a week after I got it and the glass (Gorilla) shattered across the whole screen ... so it can always happen

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]I just wonder how long before transparent aluminum...[/citation]
Exactly, we need somethin to make the whale tanks from.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]I just wonder how long before transparent aluminum...[/citation]
How about aluminium oxide? I think sapphires are pretty hard. Synthetic sapphire glass is hard, but brittle. Scratch resistant, but it can still shatter. :) I've succeeded in scratching gorilla glass, but hey, it's never shattered after numerous drops.

robluft

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Transparent alumina is commercially available...close but not quite transparent aluminum *yet*

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]robluft[/nom]Transparent alumina is commercially available...close but not quite transparent aluminum *yet*[/citation]

Yeah was gonna say, if you read the chemical make up of gorilla glass, it's actually moving towards transparent aluminum. Should be there within 10 years I'm guessing.

robluft

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]How about aluminium oxide? I think sapphires are pretty hard. Synthetic sapphire glass is hard, but brittle. Scratch resistant, but it can still shatter. I've succeeded in scratching gorilla glass, but hey, it's never shattered after numerous drops.[/citation]

The brittle aspect is the major kicker as aluminum oxide are ceramics that need to be thicker, special additives that can affect the viewing quality, and/or just too damn expensive for the application. AlO_ may be overkill in this situation (remember this is transparent armor kind of sh!t).

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Transparent aluminum wouldn't be aluminum. It would have to be made of something other than metal, otherwise it would be classified as either metalloid, or non-metal.
SCIENCE!

G

I wished stupid apple would use it. Every other ipod or iphone I see has a cracked screen.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
We need a Chuck Norris resistant glass. That will put an end to the problems with dropping a phone.

I know, I've got to lay off the silly juice :)

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I wish they would put this stuff on the LCD screens on digital cameras. The idiots who make digital cameras wonder why people are going to smart phones, when what the consumer wants is a camera we can carry in our pocket. You can't carry the current generation of point and shoot cameras in your pocket because the LCD screen breaks so easily (I have broken them that way). But you can carry the cell phone in your pocket. The camera people really need to get it together. I prefer a point and shoot camera over the camera on a smart phone, but if I have to carry it in a special case or in a special pocket then it is just not worth it to me.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]I wish the Gorilla Glass is bio-degradable as well. Or at least prove to be environmental friendly.[/citation]

It would be cool if it degraded. I'd like to wake up one day to find that my tablet had turned into a lump of green mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.