Gorilla Glass 2 to Debut at CES: The Tough Gets Stronger

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]How about aluminium oxide? I think sapphires are pretty hard. Synthetic sapphire glass is hard, but brittle. Scratch resistant, but it can still shatter. I've succeeded in scratching gorilla glass, but hey, it's never shattered after numerous drops.[/citation]
There are a few watch manufacturers that use sapphire as glass, usually the ones that cost a small fortune and reside on the wrists of rappers or basketball players, but it is certainly already commercially used and would be ideal for phone use.

Problem is the cost involved, but the fact that sapphire glass can't be patented and if is was rolled out across the whole cellphone industry the costs would drop dramatically, let's get it done!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Transparent aluminum wouldn't be aluminum. It would have to be made of something other than metal, otherwise it would be classified as either metalloid, or non-metal.SCIENCE![/citation]

Hand in your geek card (and then go to the nearest video rental store and get a copy of Star Trek IV). Nerd fail!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]But we will always have the idiot which sues because it didn't survive a nuke claiming that it's unfit. Or the idiot who sues because it isn't made of gorillas.Or the idiot who says that gorilla glass is animal cruelty.Take your pick.[/citation]
Or the idiot who posts idiotic, pointless comments...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Hand in your geek card (and then go to the nearest video rental store and get a copy of Star Trek IV). Nerd fail![/citation]
We are sorry to tax your small brain with scientific information. Next time we'll stick to just telling you, 'IT HARD'. OK?

-Scientists

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]I wish the Gorilla Glass is bio-degradable as well. Or at least prove to be environmental friendly.[/citation]

Glass is one of the more Green products avalible it can be melted and used again.
But sessh I love Green Zealots so uneducated on basic chemistry.

G

The real question is why they needed the whale tank in the Klingon Bird-of-prey to be transparent.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I'm sorry, but I refuse to read on after this "[...]and said that the new Gorilla Glass will be aimed at manufacturers looks to make slimmer devices."
Did you even bother to reread your own article before posting? Normally it's Marcus that I'm complaining to (actually I've stopped that, too. If Marcus Yam wrote the article, I generally don't read it).

WTB professional journalism!!!! >.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Another reason why Apple iPhones are craptacular. I have dropped my HTC and SGII phones from out of a truck, dropped then accidentally kicked it and no damage to the screen or scratches. When I owned the iPhone 4, I had to shattered screens and backing from 3 foot drops.

george21546

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]I just wonder how long before transparent aluminum...[/citation]

We have it. Saw it on the star trek move save the whales :)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Another reason why Apple iPhones are untacular. I have dropped my HTC and Sammy phones from out of an airplane at cruising altitude and accidentally kicked it onto a pro football field where it was booted for a 48 yd field goal with no damage, scratches, or even smudges. When I owned the iPhone 4S, I had 7 shattered screens in a month just from sneezing or turning it over too quickly.

phantomferrari

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]Wait. Gorrila Glass 2? I think I read something about Corning Lotus Glass. Where did it go? (an honest question)[/citation]

i remember reading about it too. my guess is that lotus glass is gorilla glass 2. they probably renamed it because gorilla glass has more brand recognition than lotus glass would and it gives corning an excuse to use a 2 in the name which automatically means its better in the consumers mind. :) gotta love marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.