Gorilla Glass 3 Put to the Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Flexible screens technology will render this obsolete.[/citation]
I disagree. Flexi screens may be better when it comes to breaking but they will be very susceptible to scratches and marks.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Flexible screens won't work as well for larger devices.

It's nice to see real innovation in a tech market that isn't being hampered by endless patent disputes. The glass has come a long way, and I look forward to never needing a screen protector again.

halcyon

Splendid
I'd so rather have GG3 on my device than a flexible display...the more scratch/blemish/damage-proof the better. However, maybe GG4 or 5 will be both flexible and strong.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I'e got nearly 2 years on my iPhone 4, it's got a few digs/scratches on the back but the front is still pristine - and I don't use a protector (I got the thing because it's small and light, adding a bulky enclousure would have defeate the purpose). I'm now upgrading to a Razr Maxx HD... hopefully that holds up as well.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
If only they could keep it from shattering when you drop your phone. Hasn't happened to me yet (knock on wood), but I know people that it does. I agree with the others who point out that the flexible screen will not be durable at all as far as scratching etc. A really good phone idea would be to design it so the glass part of the screen could be easily removed for replacement. Just order a glass piece for your phone $19.99 or something. Take out a few screws. Remove bezel. Remove damaged glass. Insert new glass and replace pieces.

halcyon

Splendid

I was going to ask why the Razor Maxx HD as opposed to an S3 or Note II but yeah, the Maxx HD should be more durable, especially since you don't like cases. You could go with an S3 and a full-body Zach Invisible Shield.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Wow - transparent aluminum! Well, alumina-silicate, anyway. It's amusing to think that every patent Apple might ever file has already been demonstrated on Star Trek.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
What type of aluminum is that? He claims its used on Planes, but planes use 2024 T3 aluminum at around 32 thousands of an inch. That stuff is strong and would never be bent by a ball rolling into it at 30 degrees, i work with the stuff every day.

So yes, "Aluminum" is used on aircrafts, but they are aluminum alloys that are strengthened. Not some tinfoil crap shit that these guys used.

Now idiots will roam around and go "OMG its stronger than what they use on planes!!!"

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Can I just say that Flexi screens don't mean that all phones will be bendy, it just means that the screen will be flexible and won't crack, break or shatter upon impact if dropped.
However, this does not mean that damage won't affect the phone's housing or other internal components.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I was going to ask why the Razor Maxx HD as opposed to an S3 or Note II but yeah, the Maxx HD should be more durable, especially since you don't like cases. You could go with an S3 and a full-body Zach Invisible Shield.[/citation]

I like the battery too, willing to trade a bit in other areas to get it. By all reports it's a good choice, no phone is perfect but I currently have to plug in my iPhone WAY too often, and so I decided to go to the Maxx HD instead of the iPhone 5. I also like that it's a bit smaller than the S3 (bro has one, feels too big to me).

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]I was hoping he was going say that big screen TV had GG3 and was going to bash that TV with a bat.[/citation]

That would have made my day!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Flexible screens won't work as well for larger devices. It's nice to see real innovation in a tech market that isn't being hampered by endless patent disputes. The glass has come a long way, and I look forward to never needing a screen protector again.[/citation]

Yeah, though still room to make us believers with larger devices. For now I can see flexible screens for watches and perhaps wearable tech like caps with a flex screen in front? Just some ideas ;)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]I like the battery too, willing to trade a bit in other areas to get it. By all reports it's a good choice, no phone is perfect but I currently have to plug in my iPhone WAY too often, and so I decided to go to the Maxx HD instead of the iPhone 5. I also like that it's a bit smaller than the S3 ...(bro has one, feels too big to me).[/citation]
...yeah but with the S3 you get to choose what battery capacity works for you. ...but if the S3's little screen (I have really adjusted to the Note II) is bigger than you desire. The Razor Maxx is not a bad device but I'm sold on swappable batteries.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
screen size doesn't bother me... I was perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 screen. I travel a lot, have the thing in my pocket or to my ear a lot, and I didn't want a phone that looked like I was holding an iPad to my ear (maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit). I carried the S3 around for a while... just too big and clunky for me. I really don't understand the obsession with big phones, give me the same resolution in a small phone and I'm happy.

[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]If only they could keep it from shattering when you drop your phone. Hasn't happened to me yet (knock on wood), but I know people that it does. I agree with the others who point out that the flexible screen will not be durable at all as far as scratching etc. A really good phone idea would be to design it so the glass part of the screen could be easily removed for replacement. Just order a glass piece for your phone $19.99 or something. Take out a few screws. Remove bezel. Remove damaged glass. Insert new glass and replace pieces.[/citation]
the problem is reflectivity. Air gaps create reflective surfaces, so to avoid this manufacturers literally laminate, tape, or embed the screen to the glass. This process makes it so that when the glass breaks, the screen does as well, and that whole glass/filter/screen assembly costs a bit more than $20

This is all well and good. But who seriously scratches their phone? Or needs screen protectors/cases? My phones always look brand new after years of use... My S2 doesn't show any wear.... I don't do anything special. What the hell do you people do to your phones???

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the problem with that glass is that iit is only designed to handle minor impacts and moderate amounts of static force. (if you look at their lever press test, the 2 circles are so close that they are essentially doing a compression test)

the ball test offers nothing close to the amount of force that the screen will encounter when a phone is dropped from around 4-5 feet.

You know those old devices with LCD screens that never seemed to break no matter how much you dropped them? the glass on those old LCD's are insanely weak compared to the gorilla glass.

The reason why phones today break is because there is no space to buffer any impact. Even strong objects made with metal will flex (look at things being dropped in super slow motion)

With old devices (eg the nearly indestructible phones or old portable game consoles, if they are dropped in super slow motion, the case will almost look like jello but the screen will have no flexing. that is because areas that are not able to to handle the stress of flexing and impact have areas where the screen is reinforced along with reinforced mounting aread around the PCB, then some empty space surrounding those areas with weird plastic structures. The goal is to allow the more tolerant areas of the device to absorb the impact while directing the energy around (and not through) the more sensitive areas.

(kinda like how 5 star crash test rated cars have zones designed to crumple when you crash (that is so your body is not just going from like 30MPH to 0 in 1 or 2 milliseconds , but you may get a few more milliseconds which will mean significantly lower G's on your body. (which is better than just having the entire frame rigid (while it will mean it is easier for the car to be totaled in a crash, your injuries will be less severe).

Electronics did this in the past to stop a 4 foot drop from breaking it, but today many companies decided that key we can save a few mm on each size without redesigning the PCB by simply getting rid of the buffer zones.

Gorilla glass is currently trying to solve a problem that was solved in the past (though they have yet to actually solve it)

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Flexible screens technology will render this obsolete.[/citation]

Not even close. They will probably still put something over the screen. The components on the inside can't be flexed, only the screen.

[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]This is all well and good. But who seriously scratches their phone? Or needs screen protectors/cases? My phones always look brand new after years of use... My S2 doesn't show any wear.... I don't do anything special. What the hell do you people do to your phones???[/citation]

Grain of sand says hello to your screen and to enjoy that scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.