Gorilla Glass Now Protecting Over 1 Billion Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So what? I still put a piece of clear plastic on my phone because it'll still scratch up with "gorilla glass"

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]monaris[/nom]So what? I still put a piece of clear plastic on my phone because it'll still scratch up with "gorilla glass"[/citation]

Stop carrying metal sand in your pockets.

burnout17

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Actually, metal doesn't scratch Gorilla Glass. Metals are softer than Gorilla Glass on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. Thus, metal sand wouldn't scratch it. Regular sand, on the other hand, is made of quartz, which is harder than glass and Gorilla Glass. Basically, stop carrying regular sand in your pockets.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]monaris[/nom]So what? I still put a piece of clear plastic on my phone because it'll still scratch up with "gorilla glass"[/citation]
What do you carry in your pocket that is strong enough to scratch Gorilla Glass? I have keys in same pocket as my phone and it doesn't have any scratches what so ever on it.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I'm excited about Willow Glass. I had a former Corning engineer as a professor a couple years ago and he was all about this stuff. Curved screens are going to start getting cheap, who's not excited about that?

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]burnout17[/nom]Basically, stop carrying regular sand in your pockets.[/citation]

What if I don't want to? I come from a long line of pocket-sand carriers, and neither you, nor your gorilla glass is going to stop me!

Now if you'll excuse me; my people need me.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Aside from the negative posts. I did watch a video of a gorilla glass 2 was able to withstand alot of weight without breaking. That is pretty impressive.

However. Far as scratching goes nothing will prevent scratches other than common sense. Don't go to the beach with it!!

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]What do you carry in your pocket that is strong enough to scratch Gorilla Glass? I have keys in same pocket as my phone and it doesn't have any scratches what so ever on it.[/citation]

Even me, and my phone is quite old(I think the newer glass is even more scratch resistant). I was paranoid about keys for the longest time, the glass doesn't scratch unless you fall on it or some such.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I'm excited about willow glass, being flexible that means phone screens made of this will be less likely to break when dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.