[SOLVED] Got 2 Kernel power 41 failures today

Sep 18, 2019
Hey guys today I was playing Wow classic and got a kernel power failure reboot which rebooted pretty fast and then a couple of hours later I was playing witcher 3 on high/ultra and got a second fail only this time I got a black screen. This has happened 7 times now and the few last times before today were july 8, 1 and june 30, 10th. Here's my HWMonitor pics: View: https://imgur.com/a/Lw43P4A

Specs (All parts are 2 years old):
CPU: RYZEN 5 1500X 3.5GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX-1060 3GB
MOBO: ASUS ROG STYX B-350F Gaming
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W
SSD: 240GB WD GREEN
HDD: 1TB Seagate
Windows 10 1709 version

Solution
I just got into my uefi bios and it says that my memory frequency is at 2133mhz even though its supossed to be 2400? Could this be a reason and how would I change it?
No not likely, that's just running at native frequency. You usually have to enable XMP to get it up to the rated speed.

If you've never set the RAM speed or XMP in the BIOS before and you haven't reset CMOS, then it's likely always been that speed.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'm assuming those HWMonitor pics are after a crash or at idle, and therefore won't really tell us much if nothing is out of the ordinary at idle. Also the Kernel 41 are just "unexpected shutdown" errors, and you would get the same erro by simply pressing the reset button on your case.

Have you confirmed CPU and GPU temps under load (whilst in game) before the crash occurs?
Do you have latest drivers and BIOS installed (not using a driver updater).
Are you running and overclock or XMP at all?

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W
This could well be the problem. ThermalTake make a lot of trash, and unfortunately the TR2 is a poor series. So if you are encountering sudden reboots, this is a big potential culprit following my queries above.

Sep 18, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'm assuming those HWMonitor pics are after a crash or at idle, and therefore won't really tell us much if nothing is out of the ordinary at idle. Also the Kernel 41 are just "unexpected shutdown" errors, and you would get the same erro by simply pressing the reset button on your case.

Have you confirmed CPU and GPU temps under load (whilst in game) before the crash occurs?
Do you have latest drivers and BIOS installed (not using a driver updater).
Are you running and overclock or XMP at all?

This could well be the problem. ThermalTake make a lot of trash, and unfortunately the TR2 is a poor series. So if you are encountering sudden reboots, this is a big potential culprit following my queries above.

Just got my third crash after opening ryzen master to check for updates. Geez. Cpu was at 73c and gpu at 69c after 10 minutes of witcher 3 at ultra, also no, never overcloked

Perhaps your (not advised config of half RAM bandwidth) single stick of RAM has the occasional error...; what RAM clock speed is used in BIOS?

(Perhaps you could borrow two known good sticks to test at 2666 MHz, then strive for 3000 MHz, then 3200 Mhz, etc..)

Sep 18, 2019
Are you able to log the maximum temperature?
73 and 69 are not throttle temperatures for those respective components. But if your CPU pushes 95 degrees for example under load, that could cause a restart.
Yup those were the max temps. I'm really hating the fact that I'm selling my rig and had a potential buyer coming to test it tomorrow but this problem that I didn't have for months is making its way back... Question, when I crash and get a black screen what should I do? I tried holding the power button down but it didnt turn off so I just unplugged it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yup those were the max temps. I'm really hating the fact that I'm selling my rig and had a potential buyer coming to test it tomorrow but this problem that I didn't have for months is making its way back... Question, when I crash and get a black screen what should I do? I tried holding the power button down but it didnt turn off so I just unplugged it.
I would be looking at your PSU if you've covered everything else I've mentioned as the PSU is very poor quality.

Not much you can do asides a hard reset at that point.

Sep 18, 2019
I would be looking at your PSU if you've covered everything else I've mentioned as the PSU is very poor quality.

Not much you can do asides a hard reset at that point.

I just got into my uefi bios and it says that my memory frequency is at 2133mhz even though its supossed to be 2400? Could this be a reason and how would I change it?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No not likely, that's just running at native frequency. You usually have to enable XMP to get it up to the rated speed.

If you've never set the RAM speed or XMP in the BIOS before and you haven't reset CMOS, then it's likely always been that speed.

Solution
Sep 18, 2019
Perhaps your (not advised config of half RAM bandwidth) single stick of RAM has the occasional error...; what RAM clock speed is used in BIOS?

(Perhaps you could borrow two known good sticks to test at 2666 MHz, then strive for 3000 MHz, then 3200 Mhz, etc..)

Ram is running at 2133, should I set it at 2400?