Got a 1080ti now I have buzzing in my headphones

JPdub

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Situation:

Just installed a new 1080ti ftw DT on my system that has been trouble free for years.

after experimenting, almost all games are giving me these issues, killing floor 2 had it the loudest which made me think it was the only one, but now I can hear it on everything if I mute the in game volume

Changes pitch during gameplay and while switching through menus and clicking on things
still makes the sound when alt+tabbed in windows
tried changing to 24 bit audio at various Hz settings, no fix
makes the noise at the same volume, independent of windows or game volume settings, even with volume muted.
Turning Vsync on changes the pitch much deeper, but is still present during gameplay
Using the mobo I/O stops the sound but my friends say my mic volume is now extremely low,
Only plays through headphones while using front panel audio, won't come through regular speakers if they are plugged into front panel jacks.
Unplugging just the red microphone cord from the front jack sometimes stopped the sound while leaving the green headphone jack still plugged in.

What can I do? I really don't understand what exactly is happening.

UPDATE: sound still exists when plugged in to mobo directly, just much lower volume.
Also with the microphone plugged into the mobo, if I touch the headphone jack anywhere to the MOBO backplate the sound returns through the headphone speakers

power supply is SILVERSTONE SFX Series SX600-G 600W +12V 80 PLUS GOLD Fully Modular Active PFC Power Supply

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256109

t1022k

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
My first thought is that there may be some sort of power issue going on. What PSU do you have? It may be going bad on you if it barely meets specs and it's a few years old. You also might try a different known-good power outlet in your place just to eliminate that as a possible cause.

JPdub

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
updated original post with more info and power supply info,

The system worked fine earlier today with my old card, and during other games, just started happening today while running KF2