[SOLVED] Got a 3070 at MSRP via miracle, need advice building a gaming PC around it!

Aug 1, 2021
A friend of mine works at Nvidia and is a Good Guy Greg who refuses to be a scalper. He helped me buy a 3070, and I want to get the most out of it spending the least amount of extra cash. What do you think of my component list?

I have questions regarding compatibility with my old hardware:
I'm planning to use my old 18-inch-tall Corsair tower case from 2014. It fit my old R9 270 It also has 3 120mm fans I can use.
Also, it has a Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold PSU that's probably operated for around 3 years back in the day. I'm planning to reuse it. Do you think I can?
Finally, Do you think my old Noctua CPU cooler from my 2014 Intel tower will fit the new motherboard? (The old one was a Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3). I can't find the actual model, but it's single fan, 140mm, and with a form factor close to the NH-U14S. Otherwise I'll use the 5600X's stock cooler, unless you tell me different!

Thank you!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7VNb3Z

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL SUPER LUCE 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($103.80 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Total: $549.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-01 16:55 EDT-0400

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP! This week even.

Budget Range: $750 before shipping (excluding the GPU I already bought)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, coding, chilling.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. Want a QHD monitor. Should I insist on 144Hz and G-sync compatible?

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, storage.

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'll be buying outside the US, so I'll have to look for the parts myself after you suggest them. The ones I included are available where I am.

Parts Preferences: I heard too many good things about AMD 5000 series to

Overclocking: Yes, but I'm a beginner.

SLI or Crossfire: No, unless you tell me I can get a real use out of my old R9 270 somehow.

Your Monitor Resolution: QHD.

Additional Comments: See PSU, fan and CPU cooler reuse questions above. I'll be playing new single-player games, so nothing that's too reliant on extreme fps or response time.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Can't let slip an opportunity for a 3070 at MSRP!

Solution
Your current cooler will only work on AM4 with a new bracket. Noctua may sell this bracket. If not, you will need a new cooler. I would not use the stock cooler unless you have to. It will likely not allow for the full performance of the 5600x and it will be noisy.

As for your list, everything is compatible and will work, however I will make some reccomendations.

I would second the above reccomendation to buy faster ram, as Ryzen performs its best with faster ram. Your currently picked ram will work just fine, but faster ram is usually not much more expensive for a decent gain in performance.

If you can afford it, I would consider a higher end B550 motherboard for better long term upgradability and other benefits. Current one will...
Your current cooler will only work on AM4 with a new bracket. Noctua may sell this bracket. If not, you will need a new cooler. I would not use the stock cooler unless you have to. It will likely not allow for the full performance of the 5600x and it will be noisy.

As for your list, everything is compatible and will work, however I will make some reccomendations.

I would second the above reccomendation to buy faster ram, as Ryzen performs its best with faster ram. Your currently picked ram will work just fine, but faster ram is usually not much more expensive for a decent gain in performance.

If you can afford it, I would consider a higher end B550 motherboard for better long term upgradability and other benefits. Current one will work just fine, though.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution