[SOLVED] Got a bit of a memory problem. 16GB isn't cutting it anymore, but my ram is no longer made, or available. :/

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi. I currently have 2 8GB Corsair PC3-10700 sticks of ram in my Asus Z97M-Plus, which has an Intel i5 4690K CPU. Yes, she's definitely getting a little long in the tooth, and I plan to upgrade either later this fall (maybe around Black Friday) or early next year depending on price, component availability, and what is coming out within a month of when I want to replace this PC. I say within a month because if you wait for every "new thing" that is coming out soon, you'd still be using a Pentium computer. :)

My problem is that I am now running into memory problems that I wasn't running into before. This started when I upgraded Windows 10 to 1909, which doesn't really surprise me as each update seems to use more resources. :/

Unfortunately, Corsair only made the DDR3 PC3-10700 for a short amount of time before moving to a different memory speed, and when I looked at used DDR3 sticks, they are often insanely expensive compared to DDR4.

Sadly, my motherboard wont take DDR4, so my options are to suffer until I upgrade, or find a way to get 32GB of DDR3 without breaking the bank.

If I was ready to build my new PC now, this wouldn't be an issue, but since I'm not, I wanted to hear from the memory experts what you suggest.

Thanks!

DM

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: Darkmatterx
Solution