Question Got a blue screen, now i get the message that an operating system wasnt found

veeljko23

Commendable
May 24, 2020
I was playing a game and midgame i got a blue screen with the code MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and after it restarted after the bios i can only see this message
An Operating system wasnt found. Try disconnecting any other drives that dont contain an operating system.
Press ctrl alt del to restart
I disconnected the hard drive i had too, same message but the drive pops up in bios.

Out of curiosity i tried to boot off my hard drive and the message is different( i dont have a system there)
Reboot and select a proper booting device or insert boot media blah blah.
And the different message is confusing me.

Motherboad is p7h55m pro and the ssd is Patriot Burst Elite, i suspect its dead but is there a way i can check, tonorrow ill go and connect it to a friends pc and try that too

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Windows sees your ssd/hdd as memory in some cases, so its possible the reason it can't see a system is the hard drive with windows on it, isn't showing for boot.
Page file is on C, to windows that is memory.

just cause bios can see drive doesn't mean it works.
does drive show up in diskpart?

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

Boot from installer

On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install

Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC

that will tell you if windows can at least see drive.
upload photo to a image sharing website and show link here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25

veeljko23

Commendable
May 24, 2020
Windows sees your ssd/hdd as memory in some cases, so its possible the reason it can't see a system is the hard drive with windows on it, isn't showing for boot.
Page file is on C, to windows that is memory.

just cause bios can see drive doesn't mean it works.
does drive show up in diskpart?

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

Boot from installer

On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install

Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC

that will tell you if windows can at least see drive.
upload photo to a image sharing website and show link here.
I just started installing fresh windows again, didnt see this before, veryy weird that on system installation part it said that ssd was literally wiped out clean, and now installation is going as expected, is it possible that i get a blue screen and mu whole ssd gets wiped? Ill update you when its done

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Windows can't delete itself via a BSOD.

So something odd there. I would check the health of the ssd if you get windows back on it
think i seen your ssd before, only places I can find their software aren't directly from them which is odd
I would run Crystaldiskinfo and see what it shows for health (blue icons) - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
Have I asked you to do that before as it feels familiar.

veeljko23

Commendable
May 24, 2020

So something odd there. I would check the health of the ssd if you get windows back on it
think i seen your ssd before, only places I can find their software aren't directly from them which is odd
I would run Crystaldiskinfo and see what it shows for health (blue icons) - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
Yes i have and i think that it was showing 0% health but only in crystal mark, i downloaded 3 more apps like crystalmark and on all of them it was 100%

I just installed windows and literally everything is working fine so far im installing drivers and i will install crystal mark and check again now, this is very weird so just to be clear this is exactly what happened

1. I was playing rise of the tomb raider
  2. Got a blue screen with memory management code, had those before i suspect its because i have bad ram since its not paired and its very old
  3. After the automatic restart as usually windows would boot up but this time it didnt, after bios logo it showed the message that an operating system wasnt found
  4. Tried disconnecting it and trying on friends pc same story
  5. I start to install new windows via usb and on the partitions part it showed that my ssd had 100% memory free 111.7 gb free out of 111.7.
So it literally got wiped out completely after a blue screen i really dont have an explanation for this

veeljko23

Commendable
May 24, 2020

Same thing it says that health is 0% again, but only this program, is it just possible that i got a bad ssd i mean i do know that all 120gb ones are very bad and their expected lifetime is low

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
  1. I was playing rise of the tomb raider
  2. Got a blue screen with memory management code, had those before i suspect its because i have bad ram since its not paired and its very old
  3. After the automatic restart as usually windows would boot up but this time it didnt, after bios logo it showed the message that an operating system wasnt found
  4. Tried disconnecting it and trying on friends pc same story
  5. I start to install new windows via usb and on the partitions part it showed that my ssd had 100% memory free 111.7 gb free out of 111.7.
unmatched ram can cause bsod. it sort of depends how often you get them and how long you have used that ram as to if you should blame it. If you been using it for ages, it shouldn't suddenly be the cause. Ram can fail but ram can't cause windows to delete itself.

I would question a drive that just loses the install.

not all 120gb drives are bad, but the way ssd work is the smaller the drive, the less spare space it has to swap out bad areas of the drive. You better off with a bigger drive as it has more spare space to swap out.

I would get another ssd and maybe use that one as storage, it doesn't matter so much if it just disappears then.

In case you get a BSOD again - Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
That is unless it deletes itself again.

veeljko23

Commendable
May 24, 2020
unmatched ram can cause bsod. it sort of depends how often you get them and how long you have used that ram as to if you should blame it. If you been using it for ages, it shouldn't suddenly be the cause. Ram can fail but ram can't cause windows to delete itself.

I would question a drive that just loses the install.

not all 120gb drives are bad, but the way ssd work is the smaller the drive, the less spare space it has to swap out bad areas of the drive. You better off with a bigger drive as it has more spare space to swap out.

I would get another ssd and maybe use that one as storage, it doesn't matter so much if it just disappears then.

In case you get a BSOD again - Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
That is unless it deletes itself again.
I have had the ram for 2 years but i know its old and i suspect its the problem, i tried running memtest many times and i cannot boot to the usb for some reason i guess its because i cant burn the img file to usb but idk how when i click the option to burn disc something opens and it says that there isnt a drive that i could burn it to, i can send screenshots when i get home

ASK THE COMMUNITY