Question Got a BSOD and want to know the exact cause

Aug 8, 2019
Got a BSOD just 5 minutes in while scrolling the Reddit feed. This is what WhoCrashed logged:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 8/8/2019 12:45:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFF80003C464AF)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80003C464AF)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This PC is only for work purposes and the drivers have been stable. Automatic updates are off and nothing has been updated in the past few months apart from Firefox (last week) and Emsisoft (everyday) so I am not sure which third party driver caused the issue. The last Win 7 update I manually did was for that security issue last May.

Did a memory and disk test. Both were okay.

Thanks!!!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I would avoid using WhoCrashed as it often can blame the wrong thing without giving enough information behind it to diagnose. A full debug is the way to go. Can you post a link to the dump file here so we can assist further?

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is usually driver based, so with the full dump file we can have a deeper dig.