[SOLVED] Got a deal on a 1080ti - other part of rig is obsolete. Upgrade advices?

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
So just two days ago I got my Christmas bonus, and as it usually goes when holding onto a bigger pile of cash, I ended up on the local used hardware site, and of course I came across a great used deal on a Zotac 1080Ti graphics card. So I said f*** it, let's go. I got it and replaced my Nitro+ RX 580 with it.

Obviously the change is huge, Cyberpunk plays just fine maxed out 1080p capped at 60fps, barely ever drops into the 50s. Forza Horizon 4 also caps at 60 maxed out - not much improvement there though, RX 580 could already get close to that.

However, I don't play Cyberpunk only, I also play a lot of CPU demanding games, like a heavily modded Cities: Skylines, the occasional Warzone and Counter Strike, SCII, and a whole lot of other titles. And my rig is... a bit outdated.

Specifically:
-Some old crappy motherboard from an Acer workstation
-Intel Core i7-2600
-4x4GB DDR3 running @1333MHz of course

Other than this, I have 2x 1TB SATA SSDs, a Seasonic Core GM650 80+ Gold PSU, and a fancy-ass (although very crap to build) Jonsbo UMX3 case.

So of course, now that I have the 1080ti instead of my good old RX 580 in there, I guess it's time for a platform upgrade.

Of course I'd like to go Ryzen, wanted to jump into that for years but always was too lazy to make the move. Question is:

- Does Zen3 (5000 series) provide much more performance than the 3000 series? Getting a 5000 series CPU right now where I live is a pain, barely can find any, and if there is, it's damn expensive. Would you consider the Ryzen 5 3600 a good value today, or should I instead wait for the latest generation's prices to drop a bit?

- Since I'm moving to AM4, I'm thinking about an NVMe SSD in addition to my existing SATA SSDs, so that I can install Windows on a faster drive. Does NVMe provide a noticable improvement over SATA SSDs? I don't really need more storage than I have now, so I'd only go forward with this if it brings significant improvement.

-Does AMD's stock cooler work well, or should I look into an aftermarket solution? Currently I do have an old cooler on my Intel setup, but it sure doesn't have AM4 compatibility. I like my system quiet.

-I currently have two 24" 1080p 60hz displays, and I was looking into getting a third one anyway (I do a lot of coding). Can a 1080ti still power a 1080p high refresh-rate monitor, or is it falling short on that these days? If it's worth it for me to get such a display, do you have any recommendations? I don't like "gamer-looking" displays, something as subtle as can be, and 24" would be best.

Thanks for those who found time to read through this short story of mine. Happy holidays!

Solution
I suggest waiting for the prices to drop,but if ur really in a hurry R5 3600 is still a good option.
You wont feel a big difference between a sata SSD and a m.2 .I do not suggest getting it,you already have 2TB of SSD's.
AMD stock cooler works well if ur not planning to overclock.If u decide to overclock i suggest getting a better aftermarket cooler.
1080Ti can still deliver excelent performance on 1080p so i suggest getting a 1920x1080 144Hz monitor.Check this monitor out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BG4GWRL?tag=rtings-mn-r-20&ie=UTF8
I suggest waiting for the prices to drop,but if ur really in a hurry R5 3600 is still a good option.
You wont feel a big difference between a sata SSD and a m.2 .I do not suggest getting it,you already have 2TB of SSD's.
AMD stock cooler works well if ur not planning to overclock.If u decide to overclock i suggest getting a better aftermarket cooler.
1080Ti can still deliver excelent performance on 1080p so i suggest getting a 1920x1080 144Hz monitor.Check this monitor out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BG4GWRL?tag=rtings-mn-r-20&ie=UTF8

Solution