[SOLVED] Got a few questions on network stuff

jay55

Reputable
Jan 28, 2019
1. Does upgrading from a card like a PCE -N15 to a Archer T6E improve Ping and download/upload speeds? If not, do i need NBN for this matter? (currently on ADSL2+, getting NBN in Jan)

2. Is it worth upgrading from a PCE -N15 Card?

3. If i were to upgrade, would a Archer T9E be better than a T6E?

If you need to know, i have a Asus PCE-N15 Wireless card and a Nighthawk D7000 router.

Solution
Sound like your problem is buffer bloat. This is a symptom of not enough bandwidth from your ISP. You data gets queued behind the netflix traffic.

More wifi will not help. If you can buy a faster internet connection that will help but it is not related to your wifi.

If not there are some routers that have special features to help with the buffer bloat issue. The buffer bloat is not in your equipment it is in the ISP equipment and this special code tries to avoid the issue.

Still it is a bandaid and could cause buffering in the netflix so buying a large internet connection is the best option.
Do you get the download speed you pay your ISP for. You can not go faster than that speed unless you change to another form of internet.

The ping time if we ignore the random spikes you see on any wifi is a measure of distance mostly . The time it takes to get from your pc to your router is almost nothing so using a different router will not have much impact.

Most issues with wifi are things like what the walls and ceilings of your house are made out of. Wifi is also greatly affected by interfering signals from neighbors.

A different wifi card likely will not do anything to fix either of those causes of wifi issues.

jay55

Reputable
Jan 28, 2019
Do you get the download speed you pay your ISP for. You can not go faster than that speed unless you change to another form of internet.

The ping time if we ignore the random spikes you see on any wifi is a measure of distance mostly . The time it takes to get from your pc to your router is almost nothing so using a different router will not have much impact.

Most issues with wifi are things like what the walls and ceilings of your house are made out of. Wifi is also greatly affected by interfering signals from neighbors.

A different wifi card likely will not do anything to fix either of those causes of wifi issues.
Things like my family watching Netflix make my ping really high, would getting a wifi card that is 5G improve my ping? And would getting a NBN50 plan be good for my ping

Sound like your problem is buffer bloat. This is a symptom of not enough bandwidth from your ISP. You data gets queued behind the netflix traffic.

More wifi will not help. If you can buy a faster internet connection that will help but it is not related to your wifi.

If not there are some routers that have special features to help with the buffer bloat issue. The buffer bloat is not in your equipment it is in the ISP equipment and this special code tries to avoid the issue.

Still it is a bandaid and could cause buffering in the netflix so buying a large internet connection is the best option.

Solution