[SOLVED] Got a gigabit connection - can't get downloads past 25.5MBps, only on Microsoft store.

cristian_gabi

Honorable
Jul 2, 2018
Hello guys, I got a little problem.

For the past few months, I noticed something really weird. I am not getting download speeds on game launchers (battle.net/steam/origin/epic games) past 25.5 MBps. The only exception I see is Microsoft store, where it reached up to 105MBps.

Now, I know that still, 25.5MBps is a good speed, but considering that I'm paying for a gigabit connection, not getting higher speeds is pretty weird.

I've attached a bunch of photos from different launchers, speedtest (fluctuating throughout the day, from 700 to 850, sometimes 950) and the resource monitor.

My current setup is: ISP Router -> wifi router (Tenda 1900 - 1300MBps) -> PC. (cat 5e - 20 meters)

I tried installing my games on a 1TB rust HDD. My current CPU is a i7 6700k - gtx 1060 3gb - and a H110M2 D3 motherboard, which supports gigabit connection (realtek).

I don't know why. In an hour or so, I'll contact my ISP to see if my setup is in Bridge mode/change it in Bridge mode, to see if I have any improvements.
An example I can give, is a friend of mine, who has the same ISP contract, has an i7 8086k, with a 1080 and 1 TB ssd.

I have no idea if it's because of my CPU or setup (or maybe motherboard dying). Recently changed the Cat5e cable, still no improvements. (something weird I'm seeing in task manager, is the network never goes past 200Mbps)
edit: just tried going from ONT to PC - none of the ports work (I get no internet connection)

I would like some suggestions in possible, thanks.
View: https://imgur.com/a/zQK5p2z
<- photos (sorry, forgot the speedtest one View: https://imgur.com/a/a0kqc14
)

Last edited:
Solution
The game servers, indeed any server, only has so much bandwidth.
Current load, time of day, etc, etc....

If you get 60MBs right now, you might only get 25MBs later this evening.

They do not have enough bandwidth to saturate everyones pipe at the same time.
You get what you get.

gigabit service from your ISP can be good, if you have a dozen people in the house, all doing something at the same time.
A single use will rarely if ever saturate that.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
There is probably a limit, on those game launch servers, for how fast you can download. They have bandwidth limitations the same as anyone else would.
I must agree, the MS Store caps your download and if you get 25mbps your lucky as it won't even give you that. Maybe 5 to 10mbps. Your connection is fine its the MS Store that has the limits so no worries, just like the guru above me said.🤷‍♂️🙈👀💯🚓✝

The ONT may have locked the router mac address. You might have to reboot it or you can change your pc mac to match the mac of the wan port of the router.

What does the speedtest site say. That is actually a file download that is not kept.

You could try a factory reset on the router. Then set only the admin and wifi passwords. There are many features in router that if you turn them on disable a NAT acceleration feature and it will cap your speeds to about 200mbps because it is using the CPU to do NAT. This will affect all machines so if it is only your it is something different.

Asus bundles some silly gamer network software with some motherboards. Make sure it is not installed.

USAFRet

Titan
megabits vs megabytes
Your top pic shows 22.6 megabytes/sec, the bottom (speedtest) shows 700+ megabits/sec.

8:1 ratio of bytes->bits.
Of course, 22.6MBs is only 180Mbs. Not near your theoretical gigabit, but not "22.6".

And this:
"The only exception I see is Microsoft store, where it reached up to 105MBps. "

105MB/s == 840Mb/s.
Big B little b.

cristian_gabi

Honorable
Jul 2, 2018
megabits vs megabytes
Your top pic shows 22.6 megabytes/sec, the bottom (speedtest) shows 700+ megabits/sec.

8:1 ratio of bytes->bits.
Of course, 22.6MBs is only 180Mbs. Not near your theoretical gigabit, but not "22.6".

And this:
"The only exception I see is Microsoft store, where it reached up to 105MBps. "

105MB/s == 840Mb/s.
Big B little b.

So I just called my ISP to change the connection in Bridge mode just in case, and nothing changed as expected, but still good since I have a few old routers that I'll use as extenders.

Basically, something I just don't understand, is how game servers work. So IF I get downloads of 105MBps from microsoft store, my internet is good. But when I get 25.5MBps on different launchers, it's kinda low "considering gigabit" - but game servers and locations are in place, so it's understandable. How can someone reach then 60MBps on some of those launchers, while being 2 streets away from me, same ISP and contract?

USAFRet

Titan

You get what you get.

gigabit service from your ISP can be good, if you have a dozen people in the house, all doing something at the same time.

Solution

cristian_gabi

Honorable
Jul 2, 2018

You get what you get.

I see now, thank you. One more question if possible. How can I connect to the second router interface? If I plug a LAN cable from it into my pc, it shows my first one since they are in Bridge.