Got a new Gigabyte motherboard, but can't access bios to set up the disk.

Aug 13, 2018
Hey.

Just got a new motherboard today after my old one shorted out it's USB and Display ports, however now I'm having an issue setting it up. I've installed everything properly, the PC boots and I can get to the splash screen for my motherboard, however the resolution is off (since the motherboard isn't compatible with my GPU drivers yet I assume)

However none of my buttons on my keyboard work. I can't access the bios to initialize the setup off of the disk that came with it. My keyboard is receiving power since the LED's are on, but I can't do anything.

After a few seconds, regardless of what I do, the display moves to a black screen with my mouse on it and does nothing past that. I also can't move the mouse. I've removed the CMOS battery and unplugged my HDD but neither has worked.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I would try a different USB port. Sometimes the interaction between a USB2 keyboard or USB3 keyboard and the USB2 or USB3 ports are weird before you get in to Windows. If you have a USB2 keyboard, plug it in to the USB2 ports and see.

Well display wouldn't off because of the video drivers. BIOS uses basic video drivers, the true GPU drivers havn't even loaded yet. Could it be that your monitor resolution is off? Have you tried doing an auto correct on your monitor or manually adjusting it?

As for keyboard not working. Does this happen when booted into Windows as well or only on the splash screen? Are you plugged into the USB 3.0 for your keyboard and mouse? Try USB 2.0.

Also those older mobos really dont like USB devices unless you are using UEFI BIOS and half the time even then it doesn't work. Does your mobo have a PS2 port on the back? If so, try using a PS2 keyboad/mouse for access around in the BIOS.

Also once you get a keyboard that can be use on the splash screen. Try hitting esc or del on boot (before splash screen comes up) to see if you can get into BIOS.

Aug 13, 2018
I've currently got my keyboard inside of a USB 2.0 port as of now. Also no, I don't have a PS2 keyboard unfortunately.

As for my resolution being off; it most definitely is. However, I use a TV as my monitor, so it isn't possible to auto adjust (I don't think?)

You might be able too from the remote. I have two TVs that can do this.

Aug 13, 2018
I'll have a look. But yes, the motherboard takes me to a black screen with my mouse after the splash screen whether I press the bios button or not, and I'm not even sure the bios button is working since idk if my keyboard input is working either.

Not really a lot of options here. Especially since you dont have a standard monitor or PS2 mouse/keyboard.

Are you able to boot into windows and check device manager to make sure all drivers are properly installed? Maybe USB drivers are not installed properly or up-to-date.