Question Got a new HDD and it started making a loud clicking noise. Worried/Scared about putting my replacement disk without resolving a few questions

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
Hi there,

A little history : I have an old computer with a 1TB HDD bootup disk which had run 55000 hrs (according to CrystalDiskInfo) which suddenly started acting up. It looked like it had bad sectors which led me to change the HDD to an SSD as boot up disk . I started using this old 1 TB HDD as a backup disk with little dat on it . A few days ago it failed and I removed the HDD.

I bought a new HDD 2 TB Seagate Baracuda off Amazon and it arrived yesterday. It installed it to the same power cable and SATA cable as the old 1 TB HDD. When I started the computer there was a loud clicking noise from the disk. I tried reconnecting it 2-3 times and the same loud clicking noise remained. I removed the disk and initiated a refund from Amazon. They have accepted the replacement and are now sending me a new HDD.

I am scared of putting this 2 TB HDD inside my computer for these reasons :

1. I have been reading that the loud clicking noise could have happened because of a power surge or a power management issue ? Can this be the case ?
  2. Can a 2 TB disk be fit into an old 1TB slot ? Should I be using different cables or wires ?
  3. As soon as I have removed my disk I have been having many issues when restarting my computer. I have been getting a lot of errors like "bad system config Info " error OR " srv.sys "error OR "system thread exception not handled " error . I have faced many diagnostic errors and had to restore my system to earlier point as well. Is there something wrong with my BIOS setup or any other setup ?
  4. Is there anything else I should keep in mind before installing my new HDD ?

I have all my data backed up and nothing of importance on my SSD and 1 TB. Really not confident of installing it again myself .

Any help on the queries above would be great

Cheers

MFDOOM123

MFDOOM123

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
Thanks for replying @Ralston18

Here are the details :

System Info :
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

OS Info :

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎08-‎01-‎2022
OS build 19044.1466
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

PSU Info :

Make : Corsair VS450
Model : 75-001835
Wattage : 450 W
Age: 4-5 years ( Assembled my PC in 2013. Replaced the NEW PSU with the same model in 2017-2018 which I am currently using)
Condition : Original and New when I bought it

Other Disk Drives Info :

1 Western Digital WD Green 480 GB 2.5 inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive ( Boot Disk recently installed ) (274 hrs)
1 Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD (Installed years ago) (31000 hrs)

Wanting to install a Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 256 MB Cache

Any help will be great

Cheers

MFDOOM123

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard?

GPU?

= = = =

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Reliability History is much easier to work with and understand. Clicking on any given entry will provide additional information about what happened.
That information may or may not be helpful.

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors over time are a sign, to me, of a faltering and failing PSU.

Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced?

Still, I believe that the PSU is a likely suspect. Especially being 450 watts

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the immediate intent to purchase a new PSU.

Just to help with understanding what all is involved and use 2 or 3 of the calculators to determine the computer's current power requirements.

TRENDING THREADS