Question Got a new monitor for Christmas and it repeatedly goes black at seemingly random times.

Dec 26, 2019
This may be long winded, but I'll do my best to explain. I had dual monitors before this Christmas, but I got a new, better resolution one to replace my lower resolution 2nd monitor, and my main monitor became my 2nd.

My new (main monitor) Is hooked up via hdmi and my 2nd monitor is hooked up via DVI. The times where it happens are completely random. I can be watching videos for hours on end with no troubles. Other times, it can happen while on Reddit and I force restart only for it to happen a few minutes later.

I've tried having just my new monitor hooked up and my 2nd monitor disconnected and it still went black. I tried just having my old (main monitor) hooked up and used my Nintendo Switch on my new monitor via hdmi and my old monitor went black. (Makes no sense to me.) I'm now back to my original setup using both of my old monitors and I'm having no issues so far. Seriously, what the hell? I don't understand at all.

My specs are as follows:

Windows 10
Radeon R9 390 GPU
EVGA Supernova 650W 80 Plus Gold PSU
ASUS Prime X470-Pro Mobo
16 gb Ram
Asus VS239H (Old, now 2nd monitor)
Benq GW2480 (new monitor)

I'm guessing it has to be some issue with my gpu? Last Christmas I got a new monitor and the SAME issues occurred and I had to return it. Since then I've upgraded my mobo and my PSU. My PC is not overheating, so it can't be that.

Update: So now it's happening with just my old monitor hooked up via dvi. This makes no sense.

Last edited:
check your power management settings.
Windows may be shutting down the monitor and USB ports after an unspecified period to save power.
May have to click several greyed options to get to your power management profile
This may be long winded, but I'll do my best to explain. I had dual monitors before this Christmas, but I got a new, better resolution one to replace my lower resolution 2nd monitor, and my main monitor became my 2nd.

My new (main monitor) Is hooked up via hdmi and my 2nd monitor is hooked up via DVI. The times where it happens are completely random. I can be watching videos for hours on end with no troubles. Other times, it can happen while on Reddit and I force restart only for it to happen a few minutes later.

I've tried having just my new monitor hooked up and my 2nd monitor disconnected and it still went black. I tried just having my old (main monitor) hooked up and used my Nintendo Switch on my new monitor via hdmi and my old monitor went black. (Makes no sense to me.) I'm now back to my original setup using both of my old monitors and I'm having no issues so far. Seriously, what the hell? I don't understand at all.

My specs are as follows:

Windows 10
Radeon R9 390 GPU
EVGA Supernova 650W 80 Plus Gold PSU
ASUS Prime X470-Pro Mobo
16 gb Ram
Asus VS239H (Old, now 2nd monitor)
Benq GW2480 (new monitor)

I'm guessing it has to be some issue with my gpu? Last Christmas I got a new monitor and the SAME issues occurred and I had to return it. Since then I've upgraded my mobo and my PSU. My PC is not overheating, so it can't be that.

Dec 26, 2019
check your power management settings.
Windows may be shutting down the monitor and USB ports after an unspecified period to save power.
May have to click several greyed options to get to your power management profile

Tried that, they both went black again. The audio of the video I was watching cut off too, so it can't be just my monitors.