[SOLVED] Got a new Ryzen 7 3800x. Are these safe voltages, and temps?

tomandsarahome

Commendable
Jan 28, 2018
Running my 3800x at 4625MHz for the past few hours now at a fixed vcore of 1.380mv. In HWINFO, I've seen the Core volts drop to 1.337mv underload. Are these safe voltages, for only gaming purposes? And I am using the stock cooler, for now. Temps in games stay below 70c or low 60s.

(I always have HWiFO/MSI AB OSD on when I'm on my PC.)

I really don't care about fan noise, so I have fans max out at 60c, and the fans hit 85% at 45c. It seems to keep temps down, a lot. And I don't care about 'prime, and Aida' torture testing, never done it on my I5 2500k, i7 2600 and i7 3770 - all three overclocked, (the locked CPUs were BCLK oc'd) to above 4.2ghz, never had problems, they were 100% game stable.

First AMD CPU, I heard mixed things about this CPU, voltage wise. I just want to confirm what I have set will be as safe as it can be for just gaming, browsing the web, so on.

Heres my HWINFO, after 5 hours of gaming. View: https://imgur.com/a/x4zUtEQ

Thanks!

Solution
If you ask me, I don't think anyone (but AMD, and they didn't) tcan tell for sure whats a safe voltage for Ryzen 3xxx and whats not. Its an amazing voltage for the high OC you got there.

If I were in your place I would just leave the CPU alone with PB (Precision Boost 2.0 ) enable. You should get more than enough performance for gaming from PB enable alone.

Yes the CPU voltage will raise even higher but it will only stay there for a limited time and the workload(should) will get through all the cores availables to not wear off only one. At least that seems to be the idea AMD had when designed this new Ryzen 3000.
If you ask me, I don't think anyone (but AMD, and they didn't) tcan tell for sure whats a safe voltage for Ryzen 3xxx and whats not. Its an amazing voltage for the high OC you got there.

If I were in your place I would just leave the CPU alone with PB (Precision Boost 2.0 ) enable. You should get more than enough performance for gaming from PB enable alone.

Yes the CPU voltage will raise even higher but it will only stay there for a limited time and the workload(should) will get through all the cores availables to not wear off only one. At least that seems to be the idea AMD had when designed this new Ryzen 3000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli
Solution

Makaveli

Splendid

Based on what he posted I don't think that overclock will pass on real stress testing, for gaming looks to be stable.

I'm also a fan of just using PBO not worth pushing the cpu that hard for it to degrade in a year's time for now but to each his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: GarrettL and RodroX

tomandsarahome

Commendable
Jan 28, 2018
Based on what he posted I don't that overclock will pass on real stress testing, for gaming looks to be stable.

I'm also a fan of just using PBO not worth pushing the cpu that hard for it to degrade in a year's time for now but to each his own.
Well, I was able to run a few user benchmarks, temps never passed 75c through them all... https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26539282

I would like for the CPU to last a little longer than 2-3 years, but by that point in time, I'd probably have upgraded by then...Temps/volts, I am always monitoring them - and within the next few months, I'm going to be getter better case fans and a good AIO.

And my RAM, is only 3200MHz, Team T-Force ram

edit, all I want to know is - will it last at these settings, for 2-3 years min? I'm not doing anything stressful on the CPU, only gaming and web browsing.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Splendid
Well, I was able to run a few user benchmarks, temps never passed 75c through them all... https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26539282

I would like for the CPU to last a little longer than 2-3 years, but by that point in time, I'd probably have upgraded by then...Temps/volts, I am always monitoring them - and within the next few months, I'm going to be getter better case fans and a good AIO.

And my RAM, is only 3200MHz, Team T-Force ram

edit, all I want to know is - will it last at these settings, for 2-3 years min? I'm not doing anything stressful on the CPU, only gaming and web browsing.

What does your in game performance look like

PBO vs your all core overclock?

That is how you will know if its worth it.

TRENDING THREADS