got a new ssd MBR or GPT

Solution

This is kind of like the ancient question: FAT, FAT32 or NTFS? IMO, use the latest - if you have UEFI ROM and will be installing Windows 10, then go with GPT. Set UEFI (BIOS) to boot with UEFI and Legacy + AHCI and you're good to go. Just my opinion as a 70 years old retired EE who's ben around since DOS, but there it is. :)

howie4726

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

This is kind of like the ancient question: FAT, FAT32 or NTFS? IMO, use the latest - if you have UEFI ROM and will be installing Windows 10, then go with GPT. Set UEFI (BIOS) to boot with UEFI and Legacy + AHCI and you're good to go. Just my opinion as a 70 years old retired EE who's ben around since DOS, but there it is. :)

Solution

oscar.w873

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

umm how much does windows 10 take up?

USAFRet

Titan

Sure. If all you want to do is install it and never use it, 20GB is fine.

If you actually wish to use the PC...far more space is needed.

howie4726

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

I certainly agree with both your comments although I would condition the "one partition" by leaving 10% unallocated (since he has a Samsung drive) and Magician will use that as additional space for overprovisioning. Just FYI, I am using about 150GB on my boot/program 512GB 950 Pro - I have numerous applications installed (including Windows 10 IP 17063, Office 2016 and Adobe Creative Cloud (all resources hogs) and many others, but NOT a single game - so I'm an anomaly, I guess - but that will give you an idea how quickly you will suck out free drive space.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, yes. Overprovisioning.
Thats a whole different thing than user facing partitions.

howie4726

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

Sorry if I got off on a tangent. :) We old guys do tent to do that...