Got a second RX480 after RMA'ing the first one and still getting issues.

raimmortal

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Hello there - so quickly some details. I originally had the "reference" RX480 on launch but got returned due to under performing. Recently I got a new Asus Dual RX480 4GB and have been getting slightly different issues to the first, reference one.

Previously I had an MSI R9 270X 2GB and it was working flawlessly. My PSU should be good enough since the R9 270X draws similar or slightly less power so I honestly don't know.

So, in this instance, the card feels to be under-performing but not FPS wise, instead it's jittering / stuttering very frequently in almost every game making it feel like the fps is way below 60 or whatever the game is currently performing at, feeling like more of a 25-35. Every game is played in boarderless windowed mode at 1080p. Radeon settings is also frequent crashing on opening the WattMan tab, this usually happens the second time I open the tab.

Here are some games and performances pulled from memory to help with my PC specs.

FX8350 4.3Ghz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, Asus m5a97 r2.0 Mobo, 500W Corsair builder series CX500M, Win 10 - Lastest update

Witcher 3 - High preset - 48-56 fps - Major jittering at times.

GTA 5 - Mostly High with a few ultra, MSAA x2 - 52-60 fps - Also major jittering.

Dirt Rally - Ultra preset - 60fps - Not so frequent jittering.

League of legends - Medium settings (preference) - 120fps - jittering every second or so. (Gif: http://imgur.com/voihMBp Notice the stuttering at a locked 60fps due to trying to see if V-sync would help)

Upon installing the card I used DDU to remove any 270x drivers and installed the RX480 fresh. New up to date drivers. I tried removing the drivers again and starting over however I get an odd error trying to remove them that I don't remember currently. I've tried increasing the cards power limit, decreased the stock frequency and currently... just out of ideas.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you.

Solution
Your PSU is low end but shouldn't pose a problem with an RX 480, I would almost tend to say your card is defective.

Have you measured temps when this happens?
Someone around here had a bit similar problem. His comp crashed when playing some games. As it turned out, it was because he was using Rivatuner while trying to play. Once he turned Rivatuner off, the crashing disappeared. So, why don't you try running your games with Wattman turned off and see if it helps.

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Have tried playing in fullscreen? Windowed mode uses more resources if I'm not mistaken, Witcher and gta5 use a good bit of memory as well, also the corsair builder series are pretty bad quality psus, it's possible to be the culprit. Have you monitored your gpu/cpu usage when the stuttering occurs and possibly the temps?

raimmortal

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

I've tried all games in fullscreen too and the same thing happened. Never happened with the R9 270X either. The PSU has never given me a problem in the 2 years I've had it.

raimmortal

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

As I said in response to nerro120, fullscreen makes no difference. :(

raimmortal

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Uncapping frame rate in league of legends in fullscreen with v-sync off produces a much smoother frame rate but still jitters. From what I can tell, it jitters much more frequently with these settings but also much faster making for a more overall smoother experience too. It's weird and hard to explain but it feels like its tied to frame rate some how

raimmortal

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

So i'm not completely 100% sure of what I did, but i downloaded rivatuner and MSI afterburner to track temps / usage and such and now everything runs super smoothly, even when the aforementioned programs aren't open.

So uh, I don't really know what to say but.. At least it's fixed for now!

TRENDING THREADS