Question Got a secondhand 1650 Super and now I regret it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2023
Bought a secondhand MSI GTX 1650 Super VENTUS XS OC to replace my Powercolor Radeon R7 360 with it. The card itself looks like new, the seal is not broken, no visual defects. I've put it in my PC(had to buy a DVI-I-to-VGA adapter), started it. It was fine until I started FurMark. It couldn't last more than 30 seconds(it reboots PC with no BSOD, Kernel Power 41 (63) and BugCheckCode 0). Okay, I thought it must be the PSU(Aerocool VP-550(not a 80+ Bronze model) was inside at this moment). Changed it to MONTECH GAMMA II GOLD, which is also 550W and has 80+ Gold certificate. Everything stayed the same, but! The card could stay 1 minute and 30 seconds and then restart my PC again. Tried delete drivers with DDU and install them through GeForce Experience. No changes. Tried to turn on FurMark with each of two RAM sticks by changing them. Still no changes. Tried to underclock it. Made the core clock around 1300Mhz. Didn't work. Tried to make the power limit lower. I set it on 70% and voila, now it seems can work in FurMark with no troubles, but it's core clock is almost on the same core clock which R7 360 has(1100Mhz).
My config:
CPU: AMD FX-6300(Turbo Boost is turned off)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX3
RAM: Kllisre KRE-D3U1600M/8G(DDR3-1600 8GB) + Kingston 99U5471-058.A00LF(DDR3-1600 8GB)
Two fans on the side, one is on the back, 2 HDDs

With R7 360 everything works pretty fine
I'm very hoping that it's not GPU's problem but motherboard's one

Edit: I played Apex Legends with it with textures on Medium. PC rebooted in 10 minutes likely. Final Fantasy 7 Remake didn't rebooted my PC, I went through the whole first chapter(I forgot to check what graphic settings were)

Last edited:
Probably VRMs overheating.
This is a very common problem for old AM3 systems.
Put additional fan near VRM area.

Similar to this:
SSz7gxp3bACvBsE7cF76K4.jpg

Jan 14, 2023
Alright, I still haven't checked the GPU in another system. BUT! When I was examining it, I've noticed that THERE IS NO HEATSINK ON THE VRM! Could it be the core of my problem?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Who would mine with a 1650 Super though.

some people on these youtube video and reddit links.

20$ a month.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfkttZWx0aE

some people on this video are interested as well

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEskXkn3Omc

and also multiple Reddit threads of people attempting to mine or asking how to mine with it.

too many to post them all. Here's just a few

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/comments/mps6de/mining_with_1650_super_4gb/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ravencoin/comments/qv8ma3/i_have_a_gtx_1650_super_i_want_to_mine_rvn/

Jan 14, 2023
What if you just GAME on it do you encounter issues?
Yep. Not in all games, I've tried it in CoD: MW 2.0, but there was too much lags because of I don't know, maybe my weak CPU? But there were no reboots. In Final Fantasy VII: Remake it felt pretty fine without any trouble, although I don't know what graphic settings were. In Apex Legends with Textures on 3-4GB VRAM(Medium I guess) my PC rebooted in 15 minutes

Jan 14, 2023
Going to test it in another machine tomorrow(if my plans aren't going to change due to anything unpredictable). But I have updates for you. I've made a custom radiator for VRM, put the card in, and tried Superposition on 1080p High. Boom, it went through and didn't reboot my PC! Tried to payload it with Topaz Video AI. It survived too, no reboots. Then, after using it nearly 10 hours(my PC was on all the time) I've tried to turn on FurMark. It rebooted my PC after a minute apparently. Then, after the reboot, I launch Superposition on 1080p High again. And my PC has rebooted on 5th-6th scene out of 17. I think this the case cooling trouble, because the cable management is bad, the exhausting cooler is dead, the intaking ones are probably slow. And yeah, I've checked the custom radiator, it's still in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.