[SOLVED] Got a terrible virus on my Hard Drive, is there any way to recover some Data or format?

Jan 12, 2019
I got a nasty virus the other day and would like to recover some items such as codes that I wrote and some pictures.

The virus has installed multiple programs in numerous different folders that are slowing my computer down. I have tried to uninstall some of them but they state that I do not have permission to do so. I cannot change the boot sequence, enter bios, or enter windows repair. I managed to enter windows repair once, but once I selected the option to format I was greeted with a long loading screen on my BIOS, then prompted to log-in once again. Is there any way to remove the virus or recover some data?

I am currently using another Hard Drive that was lying around for the meantime.

The hard drive is a WesternDigital Blue 6TB HDD and my motherboard is an MSI Z270 Gaming Plus.

Thanks in advance.
-Mar

Solution
What I would do:

Remove this hard drive.
Using another machine that I can absolutely wipe away if needed, and a USB-SATA dock, connect the infected drive as a secondary.
Find whatever files you want, and copy them to some other physical location. SD card, USB stick, whatever.
Multiple deep AV scans of this saved data, using a selection of different tools.
Once satisfied that the saved contains no virus, disconnect that SD card or USB stick.
Then, wipe the infected drive completely. Commandline diskpart, and the clean all command.

Then you can put that formerly infected drive back in the system, reinstall the OS and rebuild all your applications.

-------------------------------------------
Actually, if it were me, I'd just...

USAFRet

Titan
What I would do:

Remove this hard drive.
Using another machine that I can absolutely wipe away if needed, and a USB-SATA dock, connect the infected drive as a secondary.
Find whatever files you want, and copy them to some other physical location. SD card, USB stick, whatever.
Multiple deep AV scans of this saved data, using a selection of different tools.
Once satisfied that the saved contains no virus, disconnect that SD card or USB stick.
Then, wipe the infected drive completely. Commandline diskpart, and the clean all command.

Then you can put that formerly infected drive back in the system, reinstall the OS and rebuild all your applications.

-------------------------------------------
Actually, if it were me, I'd just recover the data from a backup that was made before the virus infection.

Solution