Got an old generation PC, is it worth upgrading to newer technology?

nonamecc79

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Budget Range: £150 after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mainly for gaming and browsing the interweb

Are you buying a monitor: I've already got 19" but I may upgrade to a 24" TV or monitor soon.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything if necessary lol

Do you need to buy OS: Nope

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't mind, as long as its trusted and safe.

Parts Preferences: Don't really mind, although I would like to stick to AMD unless you can convince me otherwise.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, if its cost effective

Your Monitor Resolution: at the moment its 1280x1024. The new monitor will be 1920x1080

Current Spec:

Mobo - Asus M4A78T - M
CPU - Amd Athlon x3 425 (unlockable)
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1066MHz Corsair Value
Case - Zalman Z9 Plus ATX
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 4890 1GB
OC Optical Drive - Samsung generic DVD-RW multi
HDD - Seagate 160GB 7200rpm + Toshiba 2.5" 320GB 5400rpm

Hi people, jut looking to get an insight on where my current build stands. It was built about 2-3 years ago and I think its starting to show its age. Since building it, I haven't been keeping up to date with current gen tech and am somewhat baffled by this new Intel I core's and amd a series nonsense. The motherboard will need to be changed as it has started to give me the infamous new CPU installed error. The CPU can be unlocked to a phenom but i'd rather leave it stock to prolong its life. As for RAM, all I know is that ddr3 is good. I don't know anything about how speed and timing can affect it. The GPU is my biggest concern as I don't know where it stands. It is VERY RARELY used in benchmarks these days. I also find it hard to max out certain games without lag although this may be because of the CPU I think. For example, the new Tomb Raider struggles with all he settings on high. And lastly, I would like to get rid of the 2.5" laptop HDD and Seagate drive and migrate to a hybrid SSD/HDD setup without losing any ata or installed applications. I don't fancy installing all my Sims 3 expansions and patches all over again!!

The initial budget for upgrades is £150 but I will spend more if necessary. I dont mind B grade/second-hand hardware either. Any advice wold be great thanks.

Blaise170

Honorable
150GBP is really low, even for an upgrade budget. A CPU and mobo will cost you at least that much alone. I would never recommend a hybrid drive if that is what you meant. I'll list some upgrades you can do now.

CPU/MOBO

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£109.62 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£50.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £159.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-25 14:59 GMT+0000)

GPU/RAM

(The GPU will probably be bottlenecked by the CPU)

Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card (£149.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £199.11
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-25 14:56 GMT+0000)

SSD/HDD/RAM

Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £208.97
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-25 14:58 GMT+0000)

nonamecc79

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks blaise170 thank you for a quick reply, I know that 50 is a low starting point but like I said, I don't mind spending a little bit more if necessary.

Wow 8 cores for only £110?? Whats the catch lol. It seems too good to be true. Also, I've heard that the fx series is a failure from reviews. Some people say its good, eithers disagree. How much better is it than my current x3 for gaming??

The motherboard is perfect for the price and i'll order that ASAP!!

What on earth is the radeon r9!!!??? Gonna have to google that asap lol

What is wrong with a hybrid drive??

Blaise170

Honorable

Many questions. :)

The Bulldozer series of FX processors is largely considered to be awful. The new generation of "Piledriver" FX processors is largely a success. The eight physical cores of the FX-8320/8350 are not nearly as powerful as the four physical cores of the i7-4770k, though the FX-8350 will often outperform it in tasks where all eight cores are utilized. Because of the design of the chips and the dies, the Intel series of processors will often be better at gaming - an i5-4670k will trade blows with the FX-83xx series. This is due to the threading of the Intels.

So the short answer to your question, I would never recommend the FX-8120/8150, but I will wholeheartedly recommend the 8320/8350. I use an FX-6300 (a six core version) and it is nearly perfect for gaming, it has only struggled with BF4 so far.

The Radeon R9 series was just released by AMD about a month ago. They are the replacements for the 79xx series of Radeon cards. The 270x is about equal to the 7950, 280x is about equal to the 7970, the 290 is about equal to the Nvidia GTX 780, and the 290x is about equal to the Nvidia GTX 780 Ti.

Hybrid drives have a ton of issues. They also do very little to speed up your system when compared to a true SSD.