Got computer back from repair shop with illegitimate copy of Windows

G

A few months ago I took my computer into a repair shop and it ended up that a new copy of Windows 8.1 had to be installed, so they took care of that. Now the problem is that recently I tried to install Windows 10 and wasn't able to. I later found that my copy of Windows 8.1 was not activated and that could be a reason why I'm unable to install Windows 10. Now on the side of my computer is a Product Key code for Windows 8.1. I tried to use it to activate the copy of Windows that got installed at the repair shop and it didn't work. I know that I have a Windows 8.1 installation disc that came with this PC originally and the product key did work on that copy. So the main questions I have are the following: Is it possible to install Windows 8.1 from that disc while already on a copy of Windows 8.1? And will the Product Key meant for the original disc copy of Windows 8.1 be able to activate that copy again?

Solution
Talk with microsoft and tell them the same thing, and have them verify that the product code you were given is invalid. After that, you'll have two options.
1) If the store people are still around and were friendly enough, talk to them about the issue and ask for a new, valid retail license that you can verify. If it was an honest mistake on their part they will help you.
2) If the store is closed, the business sketchy, or they refused to help you, take the proof from the conversation with microsoft and your receipt from the repair shop to your local cops and tell them you want to make a fraud claim against that business (make sure to have the claim amount be for the amount on the receipt plus the cost of a new license). You can then...
Talk with microsoft and tell them the same thing, and have them verify that the product code you were given is invalid. After that, you'll have two options.
1) If the store people are still around and were friendly enough, talk to them about the issue and ask for a new, valid retail license that you can verify. If it was an honest mistake on their part they will help you.
2) If the store is closed, the business sketchy, or they refused to help you, take the proof from the conversation with microsoft and your receipt from the repair shop to your local cops and tell them you want to make a fraud claim against that business (make sure to have the claim amount be for the amount on the receipt plus the cost of a new license). You can then buy a new license yourself, and if the fraud claim is successful you can usually get some money back.

This is the number one reason you should never use "repair shops", and if you ever do you need to check everything to make sure they didn't just swap out your components with less valuable ones

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you should have no issue doing a fresh install with the disk you still have using the key on the side of the box. then you can do the win 10 upgrade. should not cost anything since you still have the sticker showing a valid key. if it won't activate talk to MS and they will do it for you.

as for the pc shop that did it, i'd talk to them and see what they say. you're not really out any money (you still have your valid win 8.1 key) but they need to know that you are willing to bring it to MS attention if they won't compensate you in some way. Ms won't usually bother with one person but a business sending out illegal copies they will probably be happy to hear about. happened to one place in my city years back and they went from a pretty brisk business to closed in a matter of a month once MS was done with them.