[SOLVED] Got confused with too many boot options.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Got confused with too many boot options. Which option to boot into Windows 10 and which to boot into Linux?

Hello, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB is cheaper than the older version so I bought two. First, I had 970 Evo 1TB with Windows 10 installed in nvme slot A. Then, I inserted the first 970 Evo Plus 2TB in nvme slot B. I then used the Samsung software to clone the contents of the 1TB drive to the 2TB drive. After that, I took out the 1TB drive and moved the 2TB drive from nvme slot B to nvme slot A. Booted successfully into Windows And used it for a few hours without issue. Then, I took it out from nvme slot A and put the 2nd new 2TB to nvme slotB. Installed linux and it worked fine. Then, I put back the first 2TB with Windows installed back to slot A.

Now, when I went to the BIOS, I got a list of boot drives:

1. Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 2TB)
  2. Pop!_OS 19.04 (Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 2TB)
  3. Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 2TB
  4. Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 2TB
  5. UEFI OS (Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 2TB)
  6. rEFind Boot Manager
  7. Pop_OS 18.10
Q1: If I want to boot into Windows, which option number should I choose?
Q2: If I want to boot into Linux, which option number should I choose?
Q3: What boot sequence should I rearrange the options?
Q4: What is Option t for?
Q5: What is Option 6 for?

I installed 19.04 in the new ssd. Not sure why ver 18.10 shows up.

Problem is Choosing Option 1 caused no video signal blank screen error. Forced reboot several could not solve the issue. I had to clear the CMOS of my Gigabyte Z390 xtreme to make the BIOS shows up on the screen again. Choosing Option 1 again caused the no video signal blank screen error again.

At some point, the screen asked if I would like to check disk. I didn't press any key within specified a number of seconds to allow check disk. Then nothing showed up on screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Thanks. Yes, I installed Linux after installing Windows. Do you mean just choose 6 and then from there (i.e. rEFind), choose whichever OS I want to boot? Shall I also move Option 6 rEFind to the top of the boot list in the BIOS of my Gigabyte motherboard.
No.
You have too many competing OS's on there, on multiple drives.

Personally, I would start over.
1 drive connected, install Windows.
Connect some other drive, install Linux.
This gives you a stable dualboot scenario.

Then, you connect other drives, one by one, and wipe them completely.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
If you installed Linux after installing Windows, you should choose 6. rEFind Boot Manager. Linux usually installs it's own boot manger to override the Windows bootloader and gives you the option to boot into Windows or Linux.

Thanks. Yes, I installed Linux after installing Windows. Do you mean just choose 6 and then from there (i.e. rEFind), choose whichever OS I want to boot? Shall I also move Option 6 rEFind to the top of the boot list in the BIOS of my Gigabyte motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
No.
You have too many competing OS's on there, on multiple drives.

Personally, I would start over.
1 drive connected, install Windows.
Connect some other drive, install Linux.
This gives you a stable dualboot scenario.

Then, you connect other drives, one by one, and wipe them completely.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution