[SOLVED] Got my first fake USB storage for Christmas

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I asked for a USB flash drive larger than 8GB for Christmas. Just an easy idea to give one of the kids to pick me up. I guess I should have been a bit clearer about selection. Got this keychain dongle type that had no name brand marking in English on the package, no size listed on the packaging, but marked 2TB on the keychain part of the dongle itself. Obviously skeptical, I tested it last night. It turns out to be a 2GB unit that something was done to have it display the larger capacity. It got just at 1.85GB into the test and my whole computer started freaking out popping up windows about file source, file destination, corruptions, and so forth. Tried taking a look at it via Disk Management and it just completely failed. It will see it, but has no space available, can't format, anything.

Hoping that the kid didn't pay too much for it. Surely some M'aamazon special.

h2testW can check drives like that for actual capacity. They just corrupt data once you get past their actual capacity. Sometimes you can flash them back to make them functional drives, but it's not worth the hassle.

It's a shame people still fall victim to that since proper large drives are cheap. Newegg had a deal the other day for a Team group 128gb drive for $10. In all honesty, with both reliability and speed factored into the equation I don't see much purpose for drives over 64 gb.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Yup, I had hoped for/asked for a 16GB but wasn't specific about a brand or anything. It's going in the trash, just not worth fooling with.

The one plus was that it came with a "bonus gift" of some glove type contraption with LED lights on the first finger and thumb. I can truly see those coming in handy for messing around inside PC cases and under the desk/cable connection type stuff. Way easier than holding a light in your teeth or placing the phone on a ledge...